Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group has pre-bought U.S., Latin American and Spanish rights to the upcoming sequel to Indonesian action feature The Raid, which won the Midnight Madness Award at last year’s Toronto International Film Festival. Tentatively titled Berandal for the Indonesian market, production will start at the end of 2012 in Jakarta. Raid star Iko Uwais will return and Gareth Huw Evans is set to direct and produce through his PT Merantau Films. LA-based XYZ Films is also on board as producer. International sales are being handled by Celluloid Nightmares, the foreign sales partnership between XYZ Films and Celluloid Dreams. Alliance/Momentum has pre-bought for the United Kingdom and Canada; Koch Media has acquired the film for German speaking territories; Korea Screen has pre-bought Korea; and HGC has pre-bought China. Deals for other major territories are currently in negotiations. The new installment will have a “significantly larger budget” than the original, producers say, although storyline details are being kept quiet. The Raid, which will screen at the upcoming SXSW Film Festival, follows an elite SWAT team sent to raid an impenetrable safe house in the Indonesian capital’s slums. Sony Pictures Classics is releasing The Raid theatrically on March 23rd and Screen Gems is planning an English-language remake which XYZ Films is also producing. XYZ is an LA-based production and sales company founded by Nate Bolotin, Nick Spicer, and Aram Tertzakian.
Sony Nabs U.S. Rights For 'The Raid' Sequel
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Skirball Fire: Officials Determine Cause Of Bel-Air Blaze; Thomas Fire Still Unchecked; Apple Donates $1M - Update
Latest Film News
- ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review: About As Much Fun As You Could Have At The Movies
- ‘Call Me By Your Name’ Team On Creating Intimacy On Screen For Story Of First Love – The Contenders Video
- Jennifer Lawrence To Star In ‘Burial Rites’ With ‘Call Me By Your Name’ Helmer Luca…
- LAPD Opens New Roman Polanski Probe About Alleged 1975 Assault Of 10-Year-Old
- Richard Linklater On Why It Took 10 Years To Get His ‘Last Flag Flying’ To The Screen – The…
- Shelter PR Launches Film & TV Division With Hire Of Former Paramount Exec