Today brings more potential bad news for Rupert Murdoch’s embattled News International. British Labour Party MP Tom Watson tweeted this morning that the Metropolitan police have confirmed to him they are investigating News International-owned The Times newspaper over email hacking. Watson, who is also a member of the Parliamentary committee for Culture, Media and Sport, had written to the police last month asking if they would investigate after the newspaper’s editor, James Harding. He told the Leveson Inquiry into U.K. media ethics that a Times reporter had been given a formal warning after accessing private emails without authorization. A police spokesman told the BBC officers were in contact with Watson regarding the specific issues he seeks to raise, but said they would not provide “running commentary.”
Rupert Murdoch's Times Newspaper Now Part Of Hacking Probe, MP Says
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Tom Cruise, 'Edge Of Tomorrow' Score Japan Cool Prizes; Bloomsbury Set Circled For 'Life In Squares'
- Hot Trailer: Marion Cotillard Has 'Two Days, One Night'
- Will Disney Take 'Pirates 5′ Down Under Using '20,000 Leagues' Tax Incentive?
- Intl Box Office Final: 'Turtles' Overpower 'Expendables 3′ In Russia; 'Dragon 2′ Takes Flight In China With $25.9M
- BBC One Renews Hit Crime Drama 'Happy Valley'
- UPDATE: UK Jewish Film Fest, London's Tricycle Cinema Reach Entente