Today brings more potential bad news for Rupert Murdoch’s embattled News International. British Labour Party MP Tom Watson tweeted this morning that the Metropolitan police have confirmed to him they are investigating News International-owned The Times newspaper over email hacking. Watson, who is also a member of the Parliamentary committee for Culture, Media and Sport, had written to the police last month asking if they would investigate after the newspaper’s editor, James Harding. He told the Leveson Inquiry into U.K. media ethics that a Times reporter had been given a formal warning after accessing private emails without authorization. A police spokesman told the BBC officers were in contact with Watson regarding the specific issues he seeks to raise, but said they would not provide “running commentary.”
Rupert Murdoch's Times Newspaper Now Part Of Hacking Probe, MP Says
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Scottish Independence Vote: If The Ayes Have It, What Happens For Film & TV Biz?
- ITV Closes Curtain On 'Rising Star'; UK Version Will Not Go Forward
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Rome Film Festival Reveals First 5 English-Language Titles; Soda Pictures Bringing 'Phoenix' To UK; More
- 'Help! I Can't Cook' Serves Up Record Debut In Israel; Is Keshet In The Sweet Spot Again?
- China: Understanding & Respect Key To Massive Market, But Does Anybody Know Anything?
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC's Hugh Bonneville Starrer 'W1A' Back For Season 2; Denmark's TDC Group Paying $2.15B For Norwegian…