EXCLUSIVE: Don’t ask me why so many young people are enthralled by YouTube’s The Annoying Orange. But millions seem to love the whiny character — and that has impressed Relativity Media. It just became the first movie studio to employ The Annoying Orange to promote a feature film: Mirror, Mirror, the upcoming comic revision of Snow White featuring Lily Collins and Julia Roberts. The massive fan base for the character, created by Dane Boedigheimer and produced and distributed by Collective Digital Studio, “enables us to reach Mirror Mirror’s family audience in a nontraditional way,” says Terry Curtin, President of Theatrical Marketing for Relativity. More than 2.3M people subscribe to The Annoying Orange’s YouTube channel, and since October 2009 its videos have had 1B views. Cartoon Network also plans a series around the character. Will this campaign help or hurt Mirror, Mirror? You decide:
Relativity Squeezes YouTube's The Annoying Orange To Promote 'Mirror, Mirror'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Relativity CEO Says Appointment Of Lawyer As Managing Director Will Help IPO Plans
- It's No Blip, Online Video Is Taking Ad Dollars From Traditional TV: Analyst
- Now That He's At Carmike, Can Bud Mayo Lead Theaters' Alternative Content Revolution?
- Cable Milestone: Operators Have More Broadband Subs Than TV Ones
- Look Out Gannett: Carl Icahn Buys 6.6% Stake
- Warren Buffett Sends A Mixed Message To John Malone As He Buys Into Charter But Unloads Starz