EXCLUSIVE: Don’t ask me why so many young people are enthralled by YouTube’s The Annoying Orange. But millions seem to love the whiny character — and that has impressed Relativity Media. It just became the first movie studio to employ The Annoying Orange to promote a feature film: Mirror, Mirror, the upcoming comic revision of Snow White featuring Lily Collins and Julia Roberts. The massive fan base for the character, created by Dane Boedigheimer and produced and distributed by Collective Digital Studio, “enables us to reach Mirror Mirror’s family audience in a nontraditional way,” says Terry Curtin, President of Theatrical Marketing for Relativity. More than 2.3M people subscribe to The Annoying Orange’s YouTube channel, and since October 2009 its videos have had 1B views. Cartoon Network also plans a series around the character. Will this campaign help or hurt Mirror, Mirror? You decide:
Relativity Squeezes YouTube's The Annoying Orange To Promote 'Mirror, Mirror'
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- UPDATE: RealD Responds To Starboard Value's Buyout Offer, Which Sent The 3D Company's Shares Soaring
- DirecTV Secures Renewal Of NFL Sunday Ticket With Added Streaming Rights
- Media Stocks Swoon As Wall Street Frets Over Factory Activity And Ebola
- Is The 'Crouching Tiger 2′ Dispute A Brilliant PR Gambit For Netflix?
- Derek Jeter Teams With Legendary Entertainment To Launch Sports Site: The Player's Tribune
- Suddenlink To Drop Viacom Channels In Dispute Over Contract Terms