Paramount says the son of The Godfather author Mario Puzo is tarnishing the legacy of the studio’s films by attempting to publish a new sequel to the original novel. So it’s suing the Puzo estate in U.S. District Court in New York to stop publication of The Family Corleone later this year. The complaint filed late last week says Paramount bought the copyright of Puzo’s novel in 1969 and allowed Random House to publish a sequel, The Godfather Returns, in 1994. The studio said a second sequel, The Godfather’s Revenge, was published in 2006 without Paramount’s approval, and “far from properly honoring the legacy of The Godfather, the unauthorized The Godfather’s Revenge tarnished, and in the process, also misled consumers into believing that The Godfather’s Revenge was authorized by Paramount,” the complaint reads. The studio is also seeking damages saying the estate is infringing on copyright and trademarks — like those famous puppet strings — by using them to promote the new book. The original 1972 Godfather film won three Oscars and was co-written by Puzo.
Paramount Sues Over New 'Godfather' Novel From Mario Puzo's Estate
What's Hot on Deadline
'Show Dogs' Getting Re-Cut By Global Road In Response To Concerns Over Inappropriate Sex Abuse Message
Jason Bateman Apologizes To Jessica Walter Over 'Arrested Development' Interview Comments: "I Was Wrong Here"
'Outlander's Sam Heughan Joins Vin Diesel In Sony's 'Bloodshot'; Eiza Gonzalez, Michael Sheen Also Aboard
Latest Film News
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Review: Han, Chewy & Lando Save The Day In Rip-Roarin’ Origin Story
- Harvey Weinstein Expected To Do Perp Walk Friday When He Surrenders To NYPD
- Lobo Sebastian Cast In ‘The Mule & ‘Words On Bathroom Walls’; Martha Kelly Joins ‘Corporate Animals…
- ‘Star Wars’ Boba Fett Spinoff Said To Be Back On Track With James Mangold
- Actors’ Equity Re-Elects Kate Shindle As President
- Oscar Nominated Producer Jennifer Fox Nabs Film Rights To ‘Earthsea’ Book Series