Paramount says the son of The Godfather author Mario Puzo is tarnishing the legacy of the studio’s films by attempting to publish a new sequel to the original novel. So it’s suing the Puzo estate in U.S. District Court in New York to stop publication of The Family Corleone later this year. The complaint filed late last week says Paramount bought the copyright of Puzo’s novel in 1969 and allowed Random House to publish a sequel, The Godfather Returns, in 1994. The studio said a second sequel, The Godfather’s Revenge, was published in 2006 without Paramount’s approval, and “far from properly honoring the legacy of The Godfather, the unauthorized The Godfather’s Revenge tarnished, and in the process, also misled consumers into believing that The Godfather’s Revenge was authorized by Paramount,” the complaint reads. The studio is also seeking damages saying the estate is infringing on copyright and trademarks — like those famous puppet strings — by using them to promote the new book. The original 1972 Godfather film won three Oscars and was co-written by Puzo.
Paramount Sues Over New 'Godfather' Novel From Mario Puzo's Estate
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fantastic Beasts' Bests $600M WW; 'Moana' Mints $177M; 'Doctor Strange' Ices 'Deadpool', 'Iron Man 2' - Intl Box Office
Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls 'SNL'-Watching Prez-Elect "Terrifying Lunatic"
'Moana' Keeps Fire Going In Chilly December Weekend; 'Manchester' & 'Jackie' Bask In Awards Season Rays
Latest Film News
- ‘The Mummy’ Trailer: Watch The Franchise Rise From The Grave
- ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Bests $600M WW; ‘Moana’ Mints $177M; ‘Doctor Strange’ Ices ‘Deadpool’, ‘Iron Man 2’ – Intl…
- Los Angeles Film Critics Name ‘Moonlight’ Best Picture Of The Year
- British Independent Film Awards: ‘American Honey’ & ‘Under The Shadow’ Glow – Full…
- Disney Sets Industry Record At Domestic Box Office; Crosses $4B Intl For First Time
- ‘Jackie' Bows With Year's 5th Best PTA – Specialty Box Office