Paramount says the son of The Godfather author Mario Puzo is tarnishing the legacy of the studio’s films by attempting to publish a new sequel to the original novel. So it’s suing the Puzo estate in U.S. District Court in New York to stop publication of The Family Corleone later this year. The complaint filed late last week says Paramount bought the copyright of Puzo’s novel in 1969 and allowed Random House to publish a sequel, The Godfather Returns, in 1994. The studio said a second sequel, The Godfather’s Revenge, was published in 2006 without Paramount’s approval, and “far from properly honoring the legacy of The Godfather, the unauthorized The Godfather’s Revenge tarnished, and in the process, also misled consumers into believing that The Godfather’s Revenge was authorized by Paramount,” the complaint reads. The studio is also seeking damages saying the estate is infringing on copyright and trademarks — like those famous puppet strings — by using them to promote the new book. The original 1972 Godfather film won three Oscars and was co-written by Puzo.
Paramount Sues Over New 'Godfather' Novel From Mario Puzo's Estate
What's Hot on Deadline
SAG Awards: 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' Wins For Film Ensemble - Complete Winners List
SAG Awards Analysis: 'Three Billboards' Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC's 'This Is Us' Shakes Things Up On TV Side
Jason Blum's Advice To Burgeoning Producers At Sundance: "Don’t Worry About Your Movie Getting A Theatrical Release"
Latest Film News
- ‘Burden’ Creatives & Cast Speak On The Film’s Universal “Story Of Hope”…
- ‘Monster’ Director Anthony Mandler Reteams With Bron For ‘Man Of Cloth’ – Sundance
- ‘Lizzie’ Director Craig William Macneill Set To Helm ‘She’s Never Coming Back’
- Sophia Bush, Jonathan Banks & Isabella Rossellini Join ‘Incredibles 2’
- Aneesh Chaganty Looked To The Computer Screen As A Canvas For ‘Search’ — Sundance Studio
- ‘What They Had’ Sundance Clip: Hilary Swank, Michael Shannon, Robert Forster & Blythe Danner In…