Reggae guru Bob Marley will hit the big screen April 20th via Magnolia Pictures in addition to day-and-date on VOD and digital platforms. Directed by Kevin Macdonald (The Last King Of Scotland), the documentary will have its world premiere at the upcoming Berlin International Film Festival, followed by a North American debut in March at SXSW. Made with support from the Marley family, the feature chronicles the singer’s early days through to his rise to stardom. VH1 is set to license the first TV window of the film as part of the network’s VH1 Rock Doc franchise. Steve Bing of Shangri-La Entertainment and Charles Steel produced Marley, which is executive produced by the musician’s son Ziggy Marley and Island Records founder Chris Blackwell. The deal was negotiated for Magnolia by SVP Acquisitions Dori Begley and Head of Business Affairs Chris Matson, for VH1 by Ben Zurier and Brad Abramson, and with Liesl Copland of WME Global on behalf of the filmmakers.
Magnolia Acquires U.S. Rights To 'Marley'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Brooks
- Radius-TWC Surprises With 'The One I Love,' Providing Theatrical, VOD Box Office
- Specialty B.O. Preview: 'Love Is Strange', 'Are You Here', 'To Be Takei', 'Winter In The Blood', 'The Olivia Experiment'…
- 'The Trip To Italy' Favoloso In Specialty Box Office Debut
- Specialty Box Office Preview: 'The Trip To Italy', 'Frank', 'Jealousy', 'Life After Beth', 'Fort McCoy'
- James Cameron's 'Deepsea Challenge 3D' Can't Surface An Audience In Specialty Box Office Debut