The name is Watson, Joan Watson. Lucy Liu is set to play Sherlock Holmes’ sidekick in CBS’ drama pilot Elementary, whose tweaks to Arthur Conan Doyle’s classic include switching Watson’s gender to female. The project, written by Robert Doherty, is set in present day and stars Jonny Lee Miller as eccentric Brit Sherlock Holmes, a former consultant to Scotland Yard whose addiction problems led him to a rehab center in New York City. Just out of rehab, Holmes now lives in Brooklyn with “sober companion” Joan Watson (Liu), a former surgeon who lost her license after a patient died, while consulting for the NYPD. Michael Cuesta is directing the pilot, produced by CBS TV Studios and Timberman/Beverly. Ally McBeal alumna Liu, who had 2 pilots vying for her, is recurring on the current season of the TNT cop drama Southland and will next be seen in the feature Man With The Iron Fists.
Lucy Liu To Play Watson In CBS' Modern Sherlock Holmes Pilot 'Elementary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- ‘Happyish’ Review: Showtime’s Dark Comedy Is Just Sad
- Bruce Jenner Interview: ABC News Launches Conversation Tonight
- Frank Langella To Return To ‘The Americans’ For Season 4
- Whipclip Adds Pop with Daytime Emmys, ‘Schitt’s Creek,’ 4 More Series
- Eric Idle: “We’re Funnier Than Scientology” – Monty Python Invades Tribeca Film Fest
- Another CAA Agent Defects To UTA, Bringing Total Up To 12