The name is Watson, Joan Watson. Lucy Liu is set to play Sherlock Holmes’ sidekick in CBS’ drama pilot Elementary, whose tweaks to Arthur Conan Doyle’s classic include switching Watson’s gender to female. The project, written by Robert Doherty, is set in present day and stars Jonny Lee Miller as eccentric Brit Sherlock Holmes, a former consultant to Scotland Yard whose addiction problems led him to a rehab center in New York City. Just out of rehab, Holmes now lives in Brooklyn with “sober companion” Joan Watson (Liu), a former surgeon who lost her license after a patient died, while consulting for the NYPD. Michael Cuesta is directing the pilot, produced by CBS TV Studios and Timberman/Beverly. Ally McBeal alumna Liu, who had 2 pilots vying for her, is recurring on the current season of the TNT cop drama Southland and will next be seen in the feature Man With The Iron Fists.
Lucy Liu To Play Watson In CBS' Modern Sherlock Holmes Pilot 'Elementary'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: At $241.96M Superhero Owns 2nd Best 4-Day Opening & Defeats 'Last Jedi' - Update
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Latest TV News
- CBS Orders ‘TKO’ Obstacle Course Reality Series From Mark Burnett For Summer
- ‘The Dangerous Book For Boys’ Gets Premiere Date On Amazon Prime
- Sterling K. Brown & Bill Hader To Host ‘Saturday Night Live’ In March
- Pilot Season 2018: The Overachievers List
- ‘True Detective’: Sarah Gadon & Emily Nelson Set To Recur On Season 3 Of HBO Anthology Series
- ‘Valor’ Star Christina Ochoa Cast In ‘A Million Little Things’ ABC Drama Pilot