The Office executive producer/showrunner said today that James Spader will not return to the NBC comedy next season. The actor, who parlayed a two-scene appearance at the end of last season as Robert California into a full-season gig, had only signed a one-year deal. “James always wanted this to be a one year arc, and he now leaves us having created one of the most enigmatic and dynamic characters in television,” Lieberstein said. “He’s been a great friend to me and the show, helping us successfully transition into the post-Michael Scott years, and I’m grateful for that.”
James Spader Not Staying At 'The Office'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Guardians' Tops 2014; 'As Above/So Below' Nabs No. 3; 'Cantinflas' Es Excelente!
More From Team
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'
- A+E Networks Outbids Time Warner For 10% Vice Media Stake
- HBO Miniseries 'Olive Kitteridge' Sets November Premiere Dates
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Is “Resting Comfortably”, Says Daughter Melissa