EXCLUSIVE: HBO is taking a look into the Los Angeles underworld with a new drama project from Training Day writer David Ayer and producer John Lesher. Ayer is set to write, direct and executive produce the untitled series project, now in development, which is described as a complex and provocative political thriller about U.S. Special Forces soldiers who take on new lives undercover inside the LA underworld, blurring the line between the war on terror and the war on drugs. Lesher is executive producing. This is the latest in a slew of series projects former Paramount Film Group president Lesher has set up at HBO, all with feature writers. This marks the TV debut for CAA-repped Ayer, whose feature credits also include The Fast And The Furious and S.W.A.T. He recently wrote, directed and produced the upcoming Exclusive Media Group-funded drama End Of Watch starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena. And in November, he was hired to write the new version of Scarface for Universal Pictures.
HBO Developing Political Thriller Drama From 'Training Day' Writer David Ayer
Trending Now on Deadline
Tina Fey & Robert Carlock's 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' Moves From NBC To Netflix With 2-Season Pickup
More From Andreeva
- SVP Alternative Among Several Eliminated Positions At CW As Part Of TW Layoffs
- Nora Arnezeder To Co-Star In 'Zoo'; Christian Campbell Joins 'True Detective'
- Paul Dano To Co-Star In Steve McQueen's HBO Pilot 'Codes Of Conduct'
- 'Jump Start' Comic Strip To Be Adapted As Family Comedy For Fox
- Resolution's Cynthia Booth & Emma Lewis Join Don Buchwald & Associates
- Tina Fey & Robert Carlock's 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' Moves From NBC To Netflix With 2-Season Pickup