EXCLUSIVE: Fox 2000 has set Downton Abbey helmer Brian Percival to direct The Book Thief, the Michael Petroni-scripted adaptation of the Marcus Zusak novel that has been on the Children’s Chapter Paperback New York Times bestseller list for 228 weeks. Twilight Saga‘s Karen Rosenfelt is producing, and a summer production start is being eyed. The WWII story involves Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich who survives by stealing books. Aided by her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with neighbors during bombing raids. One of those who benefits from the books is the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau. The helmer’s repped by Gotham Group and Independent Talent in the UK.
Fox 2000 Taps 'Downton Abbey's Brian Percival To Direct 'The Book Thief'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Smallville' Actress Allison Mack Arrested In Sex Trafficking Scheme, Faces 15 Years To Life If Convicted
'Love, Gilda' Director On Meeting Gene Wilder & Why Some Gilda Radner 'SNL' Peers Aren't In The Doc - Tribeca
Latest Film News
- WGA Seeks To Reshape Talent Agency Business With Proposal For New Deal
- Amazon Studios Lands Biopic on Bass Reeves, First Black U.S. Deputy Marshal, From ‘The Rider’ Helmer Chloé Zhao
- Faith-Based Third Coast Content Adds Brandon Gregory As VP
- ‘The Devil And Father Amorth’ Review: Friedkin’s Docu Look At A Real Exorcism Is Perfect Companion To His…
- Emma Hamilton To Star In ‘Fatal Beauty’; Kimberly Hebert Gregory Joins ‘Miss Virginia’; Lonnie Chavis In ‘Sunny Daze…
- ‘Cargo’s Martin Freeman Talks Baby-Carrying Zombies In Australia’s First Netflix Original Feature…