Participant Media and Doha Film Institute have signed on along with MyGroup Lebanon, FFA Private Bank, JRW Entertainment and Code Red Productions for animated project The Prophet, which Hayek’s Ventanarosa Productions will produce. Deadline first reported on the project last March. The Prophet is based on the best-selling book by Kahlil Gibran of the same name. Since its 1923 publication, the book has sold over 100 million copies. Roger Allers (The Lion King) is adapting the screenplay and will direct two chapters of the storyline in addition to framing the narrative which will be directed by a number of other filmmakers. To date, directors who have signed onto the project include: Marjane Satrapi (Oscar nominated for Persepolis), Chris Landreth (Oscar-winner for short Ryan), Tomm Moore (Oscar nominated for The Secret of Kells), Nina Paley (Sita Sings the Blues), Mohammed Saeed Harib (Freej), Michal Socha, Francesco Testa, Joan Gratz (Oscar winner for Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase) and Bill Plympton (Oscar-nominated for Guard Dog and Your Face).
Financiers Sign On For Salma Hayek's 'The Prophet'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Brooks
- 'The Trip To Italy' Favoloso In Specialty Box Office Debut
- Specialty Box Office Preview: 'The Trip To Italy', 'Frank', 'Jealousy', 'Life After Beth', 'Fort McCoy'
- James Cameron's 'Deepsea Challenge 3D' Can't Surface An Audience In Specialty Box Office Debut
- Specialty Box Office Preview: James Cameron Dives Into 'Deepsea Challenge 3D'
- 'Calvary' Prayers Answered At Specialty Box Office As 'A Most Wanted Man' Still Wanted In Expansion
- Specialty B.O. Office Preview: 'Calvary', 'Rich Hill', 'Child Of God', 'The Strange Little Cat'