Participant Media and Doha Film Institute have signed on along with MyGroup Lebanon, FFA Private Bank, JRW Entertainment and Code Red Productions for animated project The Prophet, which Hayek’s Ventanarosa Productions will produce. Deadline first reported on the project last March. The Prophet is based on the best-selling book by Kahlil Gibran of the same name. Since its 1923 publication, the book has sold over 100 million copies. Roger Allers (The Lion King) is adapting the screenplay and will direct two chapters of the storyline in addition to framing the narrative which will be directed by a number of other filmmakers. To date, directors who have signed onto the project include: Marjane Satrapi (Oscar nominated for Persepolis), Chris Landreth (Oscar-winner for short Ryan), Tomm Moore (Oscar nominated for The Secret of Kells), Nina Paley (Sita Sings the Blues), Mohammed Saeed Harib (Freej), Michal Socha, Francesco Testa, Joan Gratz (Oscar winner for Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase) and Bill Plympton (Oscar-nominated for Guard Dog and Your Face).
Financiers Sign On For Salma Hayek's 'The Prophet'
What's Hot on Deadline
Golden Globes Nominations: 'The Shape Of Water' & 'The Post' Tops In Film, 'Big Little Lies' Leads TV
California Wildfires: Santa Barbara Orders Mandatory Evacuations, Celebrity Homes Threatened— Update
Latest Film News
- The Black List 2017 Screenplays Unveiled (LIVE)
- Saudi Arabia: NATO Members Have “Extensive Plans” For Kingdom’s Cinemas
- Best Globes Reaction? Kumail Nanjiani Tweets Tall Tale After ‘The Big Sick’ Snub
- Golden Globe Movies Analysis: Wide-Open Oscar Season Just Got A Lot Wider
- Golden Globes: Geoffrey Rush Reacts To Nominations Following Allegations
- Netflix Unveils Documentary Shorts, Includes One On Author Ram Dass