New revelations in the News Of The World phone-hacking scandal have emerged over the past day. A 2008 email from the paper’s then-editor Colin Myler to James Murdoch — in which Myler alerted Murdoch of alleged rife phone hacking practices — was deleted from Murdoch’s account in January 2011, less than two weeks before Scotland Yard launched Operation Weeting, the investigation into phone hacking at the newspaper. The deletion resulted in the email not being a part of the initial evidence in the investigation. In a letter to the U.K.’s Culture Media and Sport Committee, lawyers for News International say Myler’s copy of the email was lost in a “hardware failure” in 2010 and that Murdoch’s copy was deleted by a member of News International’s IT staff during an email stabilization and modernization program. Murdoch has previously acknowledged answering the email when he received it but has contended he did not read the entire chain. Separately, Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator at the heart of the News Of The World phone-hacking scandal, lost an appeal today against an earlier ruling requiring him to name who at the former tabloid told him to intercept messages on the personal voice mails of such celebrities as comic actor Steve Coogan. The court today said Mulcaire cannot rely on privilege against self-incrimination to avoid naming names. He will not immediately be forced to give up the journalists who gave the orders as he was given until Monday evening to appeal the case to the Supreme Court.
Email To James Murdoch Deleted Days Before Scotland Yard Investigation
What's Hot on Deadline