The growing Hollywood-China connection is set to get yet another boost when China’s vice president unveils a joint venture between DreamWorks Animation and two state-owned Chinese media groups later this week. The Financial Times reports that Xi Jinping will announce a tie-up between DWA, Shanghai Media Group and China Media Capital on Friday that will see the companies build a studio facility in Shanghai to develop film, TV and live stage productions for the Chinese market. News of DWA building a studio in China was floated last year – and it’s boom time there with expectations that box office could grow to $5 billion in sales in the next few years. News of the DWA deal follows on the heels of other companies setting their sights on the mainland including Relativity and Legendary Entertainment. And, it’s a two-way street with the creation of China’s $800 million Harvest Seven Stars Media Fund earlier this month that’s targeting investments in existing entertainment companies, backing for filmmakers and a new distribution system in China and elsewhere. The DWA partnership is with some of China’s most powerful media groups: Shanghai Media Group is China’s second-largest broadcaster while China Media Capital is a fund backed by SMG, state-owned China Development Bank and China Broadband Capital and was established as a vehicle to help the Chinese biz become more international and commercial, according to the FT.
DreamWorks Animation To Team With Chinese Groups On Studio Facility: Report
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Weinstein Co Acquires 'Roald Dahl's Esio Trot' With Judi Dench & Dustin Hoffman
- Hot Venice Clip: James Franco's 'The Sound And The Fury'
- N Korea Warns UK Over C4 Political Thriller: “Anti-DPRK Hysteria” Would Bring “Disgrace And Self-Destruction”
- Venice: Lars Von Trier Speaks, Sort Of; Helmer Prepping English-Language TV Series, Eyes “Huge Cast”
- 'X Factor UK' With Returning Simon Cowell Sheds 1M+ Viewers On Sunday (Video)
- Update: Oz Grants Disney Transfer Of Tax Incentive To Lure 'Pirates 5′ Down Under