The BBC has secured rights to drama series Lilyhammer featuring Steven Van Zandt as a mobster hiding out in Norway, sales company SevenOne International announced today. The news comes on the same day that Lilyhammer will make its debut in the U.S., Canada and Latin America via Netflix – the first original series to launch on the streaming service. Lilyhammer, produced by Norwegian outfit Rubicon and co-created and exec produced by Van Zandt, posted records in January when it launched on Norway’s NRK1. With an overall 56.3% share, it scored the best ratings for a Norwegian made drama series ever. Richard Klein, controller of BBC Four which will air the show, said: “Lilyhammer mixes sharp wit and American big city ways with the beauty of the Norwegian mountains and folksy nature of a small town – a perfect combination for a razor-sharp drama about cultural mores. I am delighted the BBC Four has acquired this drama and I am sure our viewers are going to have a good time!” BBC Four has a particular bent towards Scandinavian shows with other imports that include Danish drama Borgen and Swedish detective series Wallander. Sue Deeks, BBC’s head of program acquisitions added: “Lilyhammer is fresh, funny and offbeat – it makes a highly original addition to BBC Four’s rich Scandinavian drama slate.”
BBC Acquires 'Lilyhammer'; Hit Norwegian Show Debuts On Netflix Today In U.S.
What's Hot on Deadline
'Justice League' Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are 'Wonder' & 'Thor' Cutting Into Business?
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Latest TV News
- Bill Maher: Don’t Lump Al Franken With Weinstein, Spacey & Donald Trump
- Wendy Pepper Dies: Contestant On First Season Of ‘Project Runway’ Was 53
- Vice Forms All-Female Advisory In Wake Of Exec’s Conduct Suspension
- ‘True Detective’: Carmen Ejogo To Star In Season 3 Of HBO Anthology Series
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger Antitrust Review Casting Pall Over Fox Talks
- Eva Longoria Teams With David Schulner & Nisha Ganatra For ‘Lucky Boy’ Immigrant Drama Series Based On Book