It could — Newt Gingrich’s second wife made some sensational hypocrisy charges to ABC News’ Brian Ross in a report to be broadcast on Nightline tonight, just ahead of Saturday’s South Carolina primary. In her first interview since divorcing Gingrich in 1999, she says that while the one-time House Speaker was trying to impeach Bill Clinton for lacking moral leadership following his affair with Monica Lewinsky, Gingrich told Marianne that he was engaged in a six-year affair with an aide — his current wife Callista. “He wanted an open marriage and I refused,” Marianne Gingrich told ABC. The news organization says that she’s speaking out now to show that “his campaign positions on the sanctity of marriage and the importance of family values do not square with what she saw during their 18 years of marriage.” Marianne Gingrich also told ABC that Newt moved to divorce her shortly after she had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. “He also was advised by the doctor when I was sitting there that I was not to be under stress. He knew,” she said. She added that her ex-husband has never apologized to her or said that he regrets his actions. ABC says that Gingrich did not comment on the allegations, although he has said on the campaign trail that he has “no relationship” with his ex-wife.
Will ABC's Interview With Marianne Gingrich Affect The South Carolina GOP Primary?
What's Hot on Deadline
Golden Globes Nominations: 'The Shape Of Water' & 'The Post' Tops In Film, 'Big Little Lies' Leads TV
California Wildfires: Santa Barbara Orders Mandatory Evacuations, Celebrity Homes Threatened— Update
Latest TV News
- ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ Premiere Date Set For Syndication Debut On TBS
- ‘Homeland’: ‘The Americans’ Costa Ronin To Play Russian Gangster On Showtime Drama
- Three Trump Sex Accusers Tell Megyn Kelly “It Hurt” As Nikki Haley Says “They Should Be Heard”
- ‘Fuller House’ Season 3 Trailer: A Proposal, A Pregnancy & A Trip To Tokyo
- Steelers Squeaker Slumps ‘Sunday Night Football’ In Metered Market Stats
- Golden Globes: Geoffrey Rush Reacts To Nominations Following Allegations