It could — Newt Gingrich’s second wife made some sensational hypocrisy charges to ABC News’ Brian Ross in a report to be broadcast on Nightline tonight, just ahead of Saturday’s South Carolina primary. In her first interview since divorcing Gingrich in 1999, she says that while the one-time House Speaker was trying to impeach Bill Clinton for lacking moral leadership following his affair with Monica Lewinsky, Gingrich told Marianne that he was engaged in a six-year affair with an aide — his current wife Callista. “He wanted an open marriage and I refused,” Marianne Gingrich told ABC. The news organization says that she’s speaking out now to show that “his campaign positions on the sanctity of marriage and the importance of family values do not square with what she saw during their 18 years of marriage.” Marianne Gingrich also told ABC that Newt moved to divorce her shortly after she had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. “He also was advised by the doctor when I was sitting there that I was not to be under stress. He knew,” she said. She added that her ex-husband has never apologized to her or said that he regrets his actions. ABC says that Gingrich did not comment on the allegations, although he has said on the campaign trail that he has “no relationship” with his ex-wife.
Will ABC's Interview With Marianne Gingrich Affect The South Carolina GOP Primary?
What's Hot on Deadline
Matt Groening Netflix Animated Comedy A Go With 20-Episode Order, Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon & Eric Andre Lead Voice Cast
Latest TV News
- ‘The Story of Us With Morgan Freeman’: EPs Talk Exploring Common Humanity In Upcoming Series – TCA
- AT&T Says Time Warner Plans Are “Nearly Complete,” Talks Up DirecTV Now
- Producer Danielle Gelber Inks First-Look Deal With Universal TV
- Peter Kosminsky Made ‘The State’ As Antidote To Simplistic Thinking About ISIS Recruits – TCA
- Discovery & Michael Phelps Defend Shark Week Episode After Viewer Backlash
- Mike Medavoy: ‘The Long Road Home’ Better Suited To TV “In Light Of What’s Happening To The Movies”…