Super Bowl ads sell out every year, of course. But today’s news that NBC has landed a record average price of $3.5 million for a 30-second spot in its February 5 broadcast of NFL’s championship game is notable because it reaffirms how important live sports on TV are to advertisers. And the Super Bowl is the biggest live event of all in an increasingly fractured media world, with a U.S. record 111 million viewers tuning in to last year’s game on Fox. That network received about $3 million per ad for the game between Green Bay and Pittsburgh, won by the Packers. The double-digit price increase for this year’s game in Indianapolis includes the $4 million one sponsor paid for a spot, an NBC spokesman told Bloomberg. The network also confirmed it has sold out its digital ads, after announcing last month it would live-stream the game for the first time. The Wall Street Journal writes that companies lined up for the 70 in-game spaces are perennials Anheuser-Busch InBev, PepsiCo and Coca-Cola, with car makers GM, Volkswagen, Audi, Hyundai and Kia making up the biggest sector.
Top Super Bowl Ad Goes For $4 Million As NBC Inventory Sells Out
What's Hot on Deadline
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
'Westworld' Team On The Series' Super-Engaged Fan Base, Music Hints & Being Part Of The Solution - PaleyFest
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
Latest TV News
- ‘Scandal’ Cast Tease 100th Episode & Characters’ Fates At Emotional Panel – PaleyFest
- CNN Hires “Silly, Craven” Conservatives, Podcaster Jon Lovett Says…On CNN
- The President Trumpets Jeanine Pirro: Is Paul Ryan Just Collateral Damage?
- ‘Westworld’ Team On The Series’ Super-Engaged Fan Base, Music Hints & Being Part Of The Solution…
- ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Cast And EPs Talk “Huge Twist” And Final Episodes – PaleyFest
- Dan Aykroyd, Griffin Dunne Remember Carrie & Debbie, “Beloved Showboats”