The Lion King director Roger Allers has signed on to adapt and direct The Prophet, an animated film Salma Hayek’s Ventanarosa Productions will produce with Clark Peterson and Ron Senkowski. Pepe Tamez and Steve Hanson are executive producing. The feature is based on the classic book by Khalil Gibran, which has sold over 100 million copies. In addition to overseeing the the film creatively with other filmmakers who will direct individual chapters of the film, Allers will direct the opening, closing and framing story parts of the omnibus feature. Other filmmakers who are signed or in discussions on the project include Tomm Moore (The Secret Of Kells ), Sylvain Chomet (The Triplets Of Belleville), John Stevenson (Kung Fu Panda), Marjane Satrapi (Persepolis), Chris Landreth (Oscar-winning short Ryan), Nina Paley (Sita Sings The Blues), Bill Plympton (Guard Dog And Your Face) and Kunio Kato (Oscar-winning short Tsumiki No Ie). The Prophet will begin pre-production later this month. Hayek was recently nominated for a Spanish Goya for La Chispa De La Vida.
'The Lion King's Roger Allers Signs On For Salma Hayek's 'The Prophet'
What's Hot on Deadline
Arrow/Flash Superhero Team-Up Spinoff In Works At CW; Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller, Caity Lotz Star
Bill O'Reilly Victim Of "Orchestrated Campaign" Fox News Says As He Responds To One Of New Reports – Update
More From Brooks
- On Oscar Weekend, Foreign-Language Nominee ‘Wild Tales’ Has Solid Debut
- Oscar Nominee ‘Wild Tales’ Hits Specialty Theaters Just Ahead Of The Big Show
- ‘What We Do In The Shadows’ Steps Into Spotlight With 2015’s Best Per-Screen Debut
- Spike Lee, Anna Kendrick, David Cross Pics Counter ‘Fifty Shades': Specialty Preview
- Oscar-Nominated Shorts Go Long, Passing $1M In Specialty Box Office
- Hayden Christensen And Nicolas Cage Soldier ‘Outcast’ To A Limited Weekend Bow: Specialty Preview