Sundance Institute announced two winners for its inaugural Hilton Worldwide LightStay Sustainability Award honoring documentaries that showcase “the connection between sustainability, economic growth and community development.” Jon Shenk’s The Island President took the prize in the feature category and Jehane Noujaim and Mona Eldaief’s Solar Mamas won the award in the “in-process feature film” category. Each will receive $25,000. Screening tonight, The Island President features President Mohamed Nasheed of the Maldives whose low-lying nation is threatened by rising sea levels. Samuel Goldwyn will release the feature March 28th. This year’s winners were chosen from 1,500 features and over 5,000 shorts submitted to the Sundance Institute Documentary Program.
'The Island President', 'Solar Mamas' Take $25K Environmental Award: Sundance
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Cannes In Focus On Femme Filmmakers; BAFTA Seeks Comedy Scripts: Global Briefs
- ‘Cinderella’ Counts $337.3M At Global Ball; ‘Insurgent’ Secures $178.2M Worldwide – Int’l…
- Want Full California Tax Credit? Bill Says Keep The Music Scoring Local
- Paramount Whistleblower: Emails Reveal Studio Officials Tried To "Freak Her Out"
- ‘Woman In Gold’ Review: Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds A Great Pair In Remarkable Story
- Sony Taps Nielsen NRG Exec For Film Research Role