Sundance Institute announced two winners for its inaugural Hilton Worldwide LightStay Sustainability Award honoring documentaries that showcase “the connection between sustainability, economic growth and community development.” Jon Shenk’s The Island President took the prize in the feature category and Jehane Noujaim and Mona Eldaief’s Solar Mamas won the award in the “in-process feature film” category. Each will receive $25,000. Screening tonight, The Island President features President Mohamed Nasheed of the Maldives whose low-lying nation is threatened by rising sea levels. Samuel Goldwyn will release the feature March 28th. This year’s winners were chosen from 1,500 features and over 5,000 shorts submitted to the Sundance Institute Documentary Program.
'The Island President', 'Solar Mamas' Take $25K Environmental Award: Sundance
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Brooks
- 'Cantinflas' Sails Decently In Specialty Box Office Bow
- Specialty Box Office Preview: 'Cantinflas', 'Life Of Crime', 4 More
- Radius-TWC Surprises With 'The One I Love,' Providing Theatrical, VOD Box Office
- Specialty B.O. Preview: 'Love Is Strange', 'Are You Here', 'To Be Takei', 'Winter In The Blood', 'The Olivia Experiment'…
- 'The Trip To Italy' Favoloso In Specialty Box Office Debut
- Specialty Box Office Preview: 'The Trip To Italy', 'Frank', 'Jealousy', 'Life After Beth', 'Fort McCoy'