Steven Quale has been hired to to direct New Line Cinema’s Category Six. The found-footage natural disaster movie, about high schoolers documenting a massive hurricane, was picked up as a spec from writer John Swetnam back in October. Quale, a visual effects protege of James Cameron who was a second unit director on Avatar, recently made his directorial debut with Final Destination 5, the New Line 3D pic that received some of the better critical notices of the franchise and has grossed $158 million worldwide since its August release. The studio’s Walter Hamada and Dave Neustater, the execs behind that film, also bought Category Six, and they moved fast to lock in Quale. Broken Road’s Todd Garner and Jeremy Stein are producing. Quale is repped by Gersh and Principato-Young.
Steven Quale To Direct Found-Footage Pic 'Category Six' For New Line
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Massachusetts Senator Urges Verizon, Cox To Resolve Local Fox Blackout
- Ryan Knight, 'Real World' Star, Dead At 29
- 'Unfinished Business' Redband Trailer: Vince Vaughn And Company Invade Europe
- 'Late Late Show' Guest Hosts Include Drew Carey & Judd Apatow Ahead Of Corden Debut
- Richard Linklater To Receive Palm Springs Visionary Award For 'Boyhood'