EXCLUSIVE: So this now means 20th Century Fox is getting behind both Steven Spielberg’s earnest Lincoln biopic as well as Tim Burton’s horror genre film Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. (“Preferably not releasing them at the same time,” one insider told me.) Such is the dichotomy of Hollywood these days. Or, as one of Deadline’s commenters says, can’t wait for the mashups. Participant Media is also a financier on DreamWorks’ Lincoln. It’s one of only two movies which DreamWorks is releasing in 2012 along with the small Welcome To People. But the studio keeps denying that its principal financial backer Reliance is backing away despite chatter to that effect. “Not true that they’ve closed the spiggot,” an insider tells me. “It was just a tad ambitious having six movies at once last year. They should have been staggered.” Four years in the making, Spielberg’s Lincoln stars Daniel Day-Lewis and has finished production. With a screenplay from Tony Kushner based on the bestselling book Team of Rivals by Doris Kerns Goodwin, Lincoln will be released domestically late this year through Disney’s Touchstone label. Twentieth Century Fox already is co-financing Spielberg’s Robopocalypse, a Drew Goddard-scripted adaptation of the Daniel H. Wilson epic novel about the human race’s attempt to survive an apocalyptic robot uprising. Disney will release domestically and Fox will distribute the film overseas. It will open in the U.S. on July 3, 2013.
Spielberg's 'Lincoln' To Be Twentieth Fox Co-Financed & Distributed Internationally
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
'Transparent' Creator Jill Soloway Won't Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment On-Set Rules
Latest Film News
- 'Roman J. Israel, Esq.' Bows OK; 'Three Billboards' & 'Lady Bird' Extend Robust Runs – Specialty Box Office
- Russell Simmons Accused Of Forcing Sex On Model While Brett Ratner Watched
- ‘Justice League’ Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; ‘Thor’ Rocks To $738M Global – International…
- ‘Justice League’ Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened – Sunday…
- Harvey Weinstein Drew Up 91-Name List For Investigators To Target: Report
- Little People Played Big Enough At A Guild Screening Of Alexander Payne’s ‘Downsizing’