EXCLUSIVE: So this now means 20th Century Fox is getting behind both Steven Spielberg’s earnest Lincoln biopic as well as Tim Burton’s horror genre film Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. (“Preferably not releasing them at the same time,” one insider told me.) Such is the dichotomy of Hollywood these days. Or, as one of Deadline’s commenters says, can’t wait for the mashups. Participant Media is also a financier on DreamWorks’ Lincoln. It’s one of only two movies which DreamWorks is releasing in 2012 along with the small Welcome To People. But the studio keeps denying that its principal financial backer Reliance is backing away despite chatter to that effect. “Not true that they’ve closed the spiggot,” an insider tells me. “It was just a tad ambitious having six movies at once last year. They should have been staggered.” Four years in the making, Spielberg’s Lincoln stars Daniel Day-Lewis and has finished production. With a screenplay from Tony Kushner based on the bestselling book Team of Rivals by Doris Kerns Goodwin, Lincoln will be released domestically late this year through Disney’s Touchstone label. Twentieth Century Fox already is co-financing Spielberg’s Robopocalypse, a Drew Goddard-scripted adaptation of the Daniel H. Wilson epic novel about the human race’s attempt to survive an apocalyptic robot uprising. Disney will release domestically and Fox will distribute the film overseas. It will open in the U.S. on July 3, 2013.
Spielberg's 'Lincoln' To Be Twentieth Fox Co-Financed & Distributed Internationally
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Middle' Series Finale: ABC's Fond Farewell To America's Beloved TV Family Is One "Heck Of A Ride"
'The Middle' Co-Creator On The "Bittersweet" Series Finale, Devoted Fans And Possible 10-Year Reboot
Latest Film News
- Harvey Weinstein Faces Federal Sex Crimes Probe As NYC & LA D.A.s Amble
- Military Hero John Chapman’s Incredible Story To Come To Big Screen, Courtesy Of Thruline Entertainment
- Bill Hader & Alec Berg Bringing ‘Barry’ To Produced By Conference
- Tyler Posey To Co-Star In ‘The Last Summer’
- Paramount Wins Cory Goodman Spec ‘The Oberlin Incident;’ Safehouse & Aperture To Produce
- Idris Elba To Direct & Star In ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’ Retelling From Netflix