Shirley MacLaine is joining the cast of Downton Abbey, the ITV series that airs in the U.S. on PBS’ Masterpiece Theater and just won the Golden Globe for best miniseries. Our colleagues at TVLine report that MacLaine will play American-born mother of Elizabeth McGovern’s character Lady Grantham. She is set to appear on the third season of the series, which begins production this month. (Season 2 is just wrapping on PBS here.) “My late grandfather directed Shirley MacLaine in Gambit in 1966,” said Downton Abbey executive producer Gareth Neame, “so it is a delight for me that she will be joining us on Downton Abbey.”
Shirley MacLaine Joins 'Downton Abbey' Cast
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Huayi Brothers Spending $130 Million To Start U.S. Subsidiary
- 11 Years Later, Feds Order CNN To Rehire Fired Union Workers
- Hot Trailer: Jason Schwartzman & Elisabeth Moss In 'Listen Up Philip'
- Chiké Okonkwo Set For 'Banshee' Arc; Scott Glenn Joins 'Marvel's Daredevil'
- UPDATE: FCC Weighs In On Local Broadcaster's Rescue Of Dodgers For Stretch Run
- 'Bill Maher: Live From DC' HBO's Most Watched Comedy Special In 5 Years