Shirley MacLaine is joining the cast of Downton Abbey, the ITV series that airs in the U.S. on PBS’ Masterpiece Theater and just won the Golden Globe for best miniseries. Our colleagues at TVLine report that MacLaine will play American-born mother of Elizabeth McGovern’s character Lady Grantham. She is set to appear on the third season of the series, which begins production this month. (Season 2 is just wrapping on PBS here.) “My late grandfather directed Shirley MacLaine in Gambit in 1966,” said Downton Abbey executive producer Gareth Neame, “so it is a delight for me that she will be joining us on Downton Abbey.”
Shirley MacLaine Joins 'Downton Abbey' Cast
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Team
- Jim Parsons To Star In Animated 'Elf' Holiday Special On NBC
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…
- 'High Profits': New CNN Series Profiles Colorado Pot Business Owners
- Mary McCormack & Alicia Witt Join 'House Of Lies'; Lindsey Gort In 'Self Promotion'
- Courtney Love To Guest Star In Fox's 'Empire'
- 'Good Morning America' Ratings Lead Morning Infotainment Race