Sherlock fans rejoice. A third series of the BBC’s hit modern take on Arthur Conan Doyle’s mysteries has been confirmed. The show, which airs on PBS in the U.S., stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes with Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson. Although those involved have been cagey up to now about continuing, co-creator Steven Moffat tweeted on Sunday night: “Yes of course there’s going to be a third series — it was commissioned at the same time as the second. Gotcha!” Moffat, who wrote Steven Spielberg’s The Adventures Of Tintin and exec produces Doctor Who, piped up with the news just as Series 2 ended in the U.K. to strong ratings. Production company Hartswood, which makes the show for the BBC, tells me a third series is in the early planning stages for 2013. A big question hovering over the continuation has been whether stars Cumberbatch and Freeman would be able to return. Freeman is playing Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson’s Hobbit movies, but he recently said he would like to do more Sherlock. As for hot star Cumberbatch, his schedule has been growing increasingly packed. After turns in War Horse and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, he’s also in The Hobbit and recently signed on for J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek sequel. A UK rep for the actor tells me, “I’m sure he would love to do a 3rd series. It’s very unlikely they would have Sherlock without Sherlock.” Series 2 of Sherlock begins airing in the U.S. in May.
BBC's 'Sherlock' Confirmed For 3rd Series; Cumberbatch, Freeman Expected To Return
What's Hot on Deadline
Cannes Winners: 'Shoplifters' Takes Palme D'Or; Spike Lee's 'BlacKkKlansman' Is Grand Prize - Full List
'Deadpool 2' Sets Fox Record With $176M Overseas Bow; 'Avengers: Infinity War' Tops $1.81B WW - International Box Office
Royal Wedding: Prince Harry Tells Meghan Markle She "Looks Amazing", Bishop Curry's Speech And Other Unforgettable Moments
'SNL' Finale Highlights: Tina Fey Dusts Off Sarah Palin Impersonation, Takes Celebs' Questions, Yes-Ands In 'Chicago Improv'
Latest TV News
- LeBron James-Led Rout By Cleveland Draws ESPN’s Second-Best NBA Eastern Conference Finals Game 3 Rating Ever
- Billboard Music Awards Reveals Non-Televised Award Winners
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Tick Up In Season Finale With Host Tina Fey
- ‘SNL’ Finale Highlights: Tina Fey Dusts Off Sarah Palin Impersonation, Takes Celebs’ Questions, Yes-Ands In ‘Chicago Improv…
- Royal Wedding Ratings: 18M Watch Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Big Day In The UK
- ‘SNL’: Donald Trump Gets ‘The Sopranos’ Treatment In Season Finale Cold Open