While attending the SAG Awards today, The Office co-star Rainn Wilson confirmed my story that he is to star and produce in a spinoff series, which in the works for midseason 2013. After quipping that spinoffs never work and that a series “with a character a annoying as Dwight” is “the worst idea I have ever heard in my life,” Wilson told E!’s Giuliana Rancic during the network’s live red carpet coverage that, “We’re talking about a Dwight Schrute spinoff that could be really cool.” He didn’t go into details but said that the new show “would have a crazy menagerie of characters… It would be even more far out and weird than The Office.” According to my sources, the spinoff, which will be tested as an episode of The Office this season, will have Dwight (Wilson) living at the Schrute family beet farm and bed & breakfast, which have been featured on the show several times and will include multiple generations of the family, many cousins and neighbors. The project hails from Wilson and The Office showrunner Paul Lieberstein, with original Office executive producers Ben Silverman and Howard Klein also attached.
Rainn Wilson On His Proposed 'Office' Spinoff: “Even More Far Out Than 'Office'”
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Renews & Expands 'Southern Charm', Sets More 'Shahs Of Sunset' & 'Million Dollar Listing New York'
Latest TV News
- Dan Jinks Sells Three Projects To CBS, Including Comedy Starring Lucas Hazlett
- TV News And Clinton Campaign Thrown Into Tizzy As FBI Looks At Emails Again
- Liz Paulson Upped to SVP Casting At 20th Century Fox TV
- John Zacherle Dies; Pioneering “Cool Ghoul” Horror Host Was 98
- Rob Sharenow On Cops Going Live In A&E Docu Series ‘Live PD’: “They Want the World To See What Really Goes On”…
- AMC Buys ‘Dietland’ Drama From Marti Noxon & Skydance For Series Consideration