While attending the SAG Awards today, The Office co-star Rainn Wilson confirmed my story that he is to star and produce in a spinoff series, which in the works for midseason 2013. After quipping that spinoffs never work and that a series “with a character a annoying as Dwight” is “the worst idea I have ever heard in my life,” Wilson told E!’s Giuliana Rancic during the network’s live red carpet coverage that, “We’re talking about a Dwight Schrute spinoff that could be really cool.” He didn’t go into details but said that the new show “would have a crazy menagerie of characters… It would be even more far out and weird than The Office.” According to my sources, the spinoff, which will be tested as an episode of The Office this season, will have Dwight (Wilson) living at the Schrute family beet farm and bed & breakfast, which have been featured on the show several times and will include multiple generations of the family, many cousins and neighbors. The project hails from Wilson and The Office showrunner Paul Lieberstein, with original Office executive producers Ben Silverman and Howard Klein also attached.
Rainn Wilson On His Proposed 'Office' Spinoff: “Even More Far Out Than 'Office'”
What's Hot on Deadline
'Latin Lover' Sets $12M Pantelion Record, 'Baahubali 2' Mighty With $10M+, 'Circle' Is A Square As 'F8' Leads Listless Weekend
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Past $1B At Worldwide Box Office; Tops 'Furious 7' For New China Record
Latest TV News
- Morning After: Samantha Bee Shrugs Off Jake Tapper’s “Smug Liberal” Question
- Samantha Bee’s Not the White House Correspondents Dinner Serves Trump Roast
- White House Correspondents’ Dinner Live Blog: Who Needs Donald Trump?
- White House Correspondents’ Dinner Livestream – Watch It Here
- Donald Trump Blasts Hollywood & Media Elites At “Boring” POTUS Snubbed WHCD
- Will Ferrell Brings His George W. Bush To Samantha Bee’s Press Bash