Netflix officially launched its subscription streaming service in the UK and Ireland today. According to a company statement, films and TV shows will now be available from the likes of Disney UK and Ireland, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Paramount, 20th Century Fox, NBCUniversal, CBS, Viacom International Media Networks, ITV, All3Media, Momentum Pictures and Channel 4. Netflix had previously announced deals with the BBC, Lionsgate UK, MGM and Miramax. Films such as The Expendables and Paul Blart: Mall Cop and U.S. TV shows including Breaking Bad, 24 and 90210 will be available along with previous full seasons of UK programs including The Only Way Is Essex, Top Gear, The Inbetweeners and Torchwood. The company has set the price point for subscriptions at £5.99 per month in the UK and 6.99 euros in Ireland (around $9). The move into the UK is the official kickoff of a rivalry that’s been brewing with Amazon’s similar subscription service, LoveFilm. The two companies have already been gunning for each other, signing deals with various providers at a rapid clip. On Friday, LoveFilm announced it had entered new agreements with BBC Worldwide and ITV. For Netflix, this will be the last stop for now on its international rollout. The company has previously said it would bench international plans until a return to profitability somewhere around the midpoint of 2012.
Netflix Officially Launches In UK & Ireland With Content From Hollywood Majors
What's Hot on Deadline
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
More From Tartaglione
- Pirates Spread 'The Interview' Worldwide; China Particularly Curious — Update
- U.S.-Cuba Thaw: What's On The Horizon For Hollywood In Havana?
- 'Wild Tales': Warner's Role In Argentina's Wildly Successful Oscar Hopeful
- 'Force Majeure' Featurette: An Avalanche Of Family Drama (& Comedy)
- Oscar-Shortlisted 'Ida' To Be Honored At Capri, Hollywood Film Festival
- 'Hobbit' Rules While Chinese, Indian And French Films Make Noise: Intl BO Update