It’s officially a go for NBC’s comedy project from the Glee duo of Ryan Murphy and Allison Adler. The network has given a pilot order to The New Normal, a single-camera project co-written by Glee co-creator Murphy and Adler and to be directed by Murphy, which might be the last half-hour to snag a pickup at NBC this season. The Book Of Mormon star Andrew Rannells is set for one of 3 leads in the project, a heartwarming comedy about a blended family of a gay couple and the woman who becomes a surrogate to help them start a family. The comedy had been as close to a sure thing as it could be since NBC landed the pitch in a three-way bidding war with penalty said to be bigger than any other commitment for a half-hour project this season. Murphy and Adler were still writing the first draft when NBC moved on to hire a casting director to explore options for the 3 leads. Rannells was tapped as one of them last week. 20th Century Fox TV is producing, with Murphy, Adler and Ryan Murphy Prods.’ Dante Di Loreto executive producing. The New Normal was one of 2 comedy projects about a gay couple with kids that NBC put in development this season, along with a half-hour written by Peter Tolan starring Sean Hayes. I hear that one is not going forward. Meanwhile, the elementary school comedy from Alan Schoolcraft, Brent Simons and Will Gluck, which had a production commitment, has put preliminary casting on hold and is expected to be revisited in June. The order for The New Normal brings the number of NBC comedy pilots picked up so far to 13. NBC brass had said that they were looking to pick up 10-12 half-hour pilots, so this might be it for the network this year.
NBC Picks Up 'New Normal' Family Comedy Pilot From Ryan Murphy And Allison Adler; Is Network Done With Half-Hour Orders?
What's Hot on Deadline
Skirball Fire: Officials Determine Cause Of Bel-Air Blaze; Thomas Fire Still Unchecked; Apple Donates $1M - Update
Latest TV News
- ‘Mr. Robot’ Season 3 Finale Shocker: Sam Esmail On Tonight’s Revelation, Surprise Guest & What’s Next In…
- Robert Knepper Staying On ‘iZombie’ After Inquiry Into Sexual Misconduct Claims Found “No Evidence Of Wrongdoing”…
- ABC Pulls ‘The Great American Baking Show’ & Axes Judge Johnny Iuzzini Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations
- ‘Jean-Claude Van Johnson’ Review: Muscles From Brussels Is Strong In Satire
- Donald Trump Wishes Omarosa “Continued Success” After She Exits White House Under Security Escort
- ‘Tavis Smiley’ Talk Show Suspended After PBS Investigation Into Sexual Misconduct Claims Against Host