It’s officially a go for NBC’s comedy project from the Glee duo of Ryan Murphy and Allison Adler. The network has given a pilot order to The New Normal, a single-camera project co-written by Glee co-creator Murphy and Adler and to be directed by Murphy, which might be the last half-hour to snag a pickup at NBC this season. The Book Of Mormon star Andrew Rannells is set for one of 3 leads in the project, a heartwarming comedy about a blended family of a gay couple and the woman who becomes a surrogate to help them start a family. The comedy had been as close to a sure thing as it could be since NBC landed the pitch in a three-way bidding war with penalty said to be bigger than any other commitment for a half-hour project this season. Murphy and Adler were still writing the first draft when NBC moved on to hire a casting director to explore options for the 3 leads. Rannells was tapped as one of them last week. 20th Century Fox TV is producing, with Murphy, Adler and Ryan Murphy Prods.’ Dante Di Loreto executive producing. The New Normal was one of 2 comedy projects about a gay couple with kids that NBC put in development this season, along with a half-hour written by Peter Tolan starring Sean Hayes. I hear that one is not going forward. Meanwhile, the elementary school comedy from Alan Schoolcraft, Brent Simons and Will Gluck, which had a production commitment, has put preliminary casting on hold and is expected to be revisited in June. The order for The New Normal brings the number of NBC comedy pilots picked up so far to 13. NBC brass had said that they were looking to pick up 10-12 half-hour pilots, so this might be it for the network this year.
NBC Picks Up 'New Normal' Family Comedy Pilot From Ryan Murphy And Allison Adler; Is Network Done With Half-Hour Orders?
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- ‘Genius’ Stars Geoffrey Rush & Johnny Flynn On Their Shared Task Of Humanizing Albert Einstein — Tribeca…
- BAFTA TV Craft Award Winners Include ‘The Crown’, ‘The Night Manager’, ‘National Treasure’ — Full…
- ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Star Yvonne Strahovski: “Women's Rights Are Human Rights” — Tribeca…
- Erin Moran: “We Did Our Best”, Says Child Actor Advocate Paul Petersen
- Ex-Fox Anchor Alisyn Camerota Says Roger Ailes Sexually Harassed Her
- Bill O’Reilly Sets Podcast Return For Monday