It’s officially a go for NBC’s comedy project from the Glee duo of Ryan Murphy and Allison Adler. The network has given a pilot order to The New Normal, a single-camera project co-written by Glee co-creator Murphy and Adler and to be directed by Murphy, which might be the last half-hour to snag a pickup at NBC this season. The Book Of Mormon star Andrew Rannells is set for one of 3 leads in the project, a heartwarming comedy about a blended family of a gay couple and the woman who becomes a surrogate to help them start a family. The comedy had been as close to a sure thing as it could be since NBC landed the pitch in a three-way bidding war with penalty said to be bigger than any other commitment for a half-hour project this season. Murphy and Adler were still writing the first draft when NBC moved on to hire a casting director to explore options for the 3 leads. Rannells was tapped as one of them last week. 20th Century Fox TV is producing, with Murphy, Adler and Ryan Murphy Prods.’ Dante Di Loreto executive producing. The New Normal was one of 2 comedy projects about a gay couple with kids that NBC put in development this season, along with a half-hour written by Peter Tolan starring Sean Hayes. I hear that one is not going forward. Meanwhile, the elementary school comedy from Alan Schoolcraft, Brent Simons and Will Gluck, which had a production commitment, has put preliminary casting on hold and is expected to be revisited in June. The order for The New Normal brings the number of NBC comedy pilots picked up so far to 13. NBC brass had said that they were looking to pick up 10-12 half-hour pilots, so this might be it for the network this year.
NBC Picks Up 'New Normal' Family Comedy Pilot From Ryan Murphy And Allison Adler; Is Network Done With Half-Hour Orders?
What's Hot on Deadline
Cloris Leachman On Gene Wilder & The 'Young Frankenstein' Scene That Cracked Him Up: "We Had To Do It 14 Times"
Latest TV News
- Modern VideoFilm Founder Sues New Owner For $100 Million
- Latest Creative Arts Emmys Presenters Include Chris Hardwick, Margo Martindale & Gloria Steinem – Update
- ABC Nabs ‘Start Up’ Comedy Starring & Directed By Zach Braff As Put Pilot
- IATSE Offers To Help ‘Sausage Party’ Animators & Fight “Untenable” VFX Working Conditions
- ‘Splitting Up Together’ Comedy From Emily Kapnek & Ellen DeGeneres Gets ABC Put Pilot Commitment
- Donald Trump: Abedin-Weiner Split Exposes Possible National Security Risk In Clinton Campaign