EXCLUSIVE: Discovery Channel has greenlighted Unchained Reaction, a new series executive produced by Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, hosts/executive producers of the channel’s Emmy-nominated Mythbusters. The duo also serve as judges on the six-part series, which pits two teams of varying backgrounds — artists, rocket scientists, animatronic specialists, engineers and even your average Joes — against each other to build an elaborate chain reaction contraption on a massive scale. The teams are provided with identical sets of tools and materials and given five days to complete a series of mechanisms based on a specific theme. Per the network, “refined mechanical movements, pyrotechnics and large-scale destruction are encouraged.” At the end of the the five days, Savage and Hyneman are joined by a new guest judge to review the installations and pick a winner. “We wanted to craft a show that puts the process of problem solving and ingenuity front and center, and we’ve done exactly that with Unchained Reaction,” Savage said. Added Hyneman, “The innovative solutions and boundless energy demonstrated by the contestants surprised us every single time.” Unchained Reaction, produced by Discovery Studios and Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun’s BermanBraun, is set to premiere in March, with Savage and Hyneman executive producing. “The spirit of Unchained Reaction is at the intersection of art and engineering, and Adam and Jamie are the masters at celebrating teamwork and gee-whiz wonder at how the world works,” said Eileen O’Neill, Group President, Discovery Channel and TLC.
Discovery Orders Series With 'Mythbusters' Stars Adam Savage And Jamie Hyneman
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Golden Globes Nominations: 'The Shape Of Water' & 'The Post' Tops In Film, 'Big Little Lies' Leads TV
Latest TV News
- ‘Twin Peaks’: Kyle MacLachlan Responds To Landing Golden Globe Nomination 26 Years After Winning For Original Series
- Fareed Zakaria To Conan: Donald Trump Has Taken Over Media
- Jimmy Kimmel And Billy Blast Congress For Holding CHIP Hostage In Bid To Seal Billionaire Tax Cuts
- Stephen Colbert To Would-Be Times Square Bomber: “Seriously?”
- Netflix Inks Int’l Distribution Deal For NBC's 'Good Girls': Inside New Model That Partners the SVOD Giant With U.S. Studios
- Steve Edwards Out At ‘Good Day LA’ After 20-Plus Years