A moviegoer passed out last night during a midnight screening of the genre film V/H/S. EMTs came, say sources close to the film. I’m told the guy who passed out–during the first particularly gruesome scene–was embarrassed and didn’t want to leave but was encouraged to by his girlfriend. He returned to meet the film’s directors, Adam Wingard, David Bruckner, Ti West, Glenn McQuaid, Joe Swanberg, and Radio Silence. Another moviegoer was apparently treated for nausea 20 minutes later. This is the second festival in a row where a hard-edged horror film caused moviegoers to faint. At Toronto, two audience members passed out during The Incident, a hardcore horror film about three struggling musicians who moonlight as cooks in a high security insane asylum, only to see the cells open during a storm. One person fainted when one of the cooks was tied to a stove top and burned alive. The film sold for distribution right after to IFC Midnight. While these reactions are not desirable for films in other categories–though I’ll never forget when the New York Film Festival premiere of Quentin Tarantino’s Pulp Fiction was temporarily halted when a moviegoer fainted after John Travolta plunged an adrenaline needle into Uma Thurman’s chest–I wonder if this is going to become the Good Housekeeping seal for festival midnight horror films looking for distribution deals. V/H/S is about a group of misfits hired by an unknown third party to burglarize a desolate house to acquire a rare VHS tape, and discover more found footage than they bargained for.
Moviegoer Faints In 'V/H/S' Midnight Screening: Sundance
What's Hot on Deadline
'Coco' Now Higher With $74M+ Thanks To A+ CinemaScore; 'Justice League' At $61M+; 'Wonder' Wows At $32M+: Friday AM Update
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why 'Roman J. Israel, Esq' Never Left The '60s Behind - The Contenders Video
'Man Who Invented Christmas' Review: Dan Stevens & Christopher Plummer Turn Scrooge Origin Tale Into A Holiday Treat
Latest Film News
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: ‘Wonder’ Makes Awards Play; ‘Dunkirk’ Storms The Q&A Circuit; Netflix Sends A Pig…
- Kumail Nanjiani On How A Pitch To Judd Apatow About A Ghost Witch Movie Begat ‘The Big Sick’ – The…
- Exhibition Stocks Rise In Short Trading Session On Holiday Box Office Optimism
- ‘Arthur Miller: Writer’ Helmer Rebecca Miller Discusses Her Doc Portrait Of Father Arthur Miller
- Denis Villeneuve On His Love Of Sci-Fi, Working With Ridley Scott On ‘Blade Runner 2049’ & Revisiting ‘Dune’ – Behind…
- Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why ‘Roman J. Israel, Esq’ Never Left The ’60s Behind – The…