Homegrown hits like The King’s Speech, The Inbetweeners Movie and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy helped drive the market share of U.K independent films to an all-time high 13.5% in a year that saw increased overall movie admissions, the British Film Institute announced today. In total, 171.6 million tickets were sold at the U.K. box office, a 1.4% increase on 2010 and the third highest total of the last decade. Gross value of box office was £1.04 billion, repping a 5% jump on 2010 and the first time the £1 billion barrier has been broken. Overall, the market share for all British films – whether they be independents or pictures shot locally but financed from abroad – hit 36.2%, up from 24.0% in 2010. Total investment in U.K.-based film production reached £1.26 billion. Spend on domestic features, however, was down to £194 million from £214 million the previous year as fewer films were made. British co-productions increased to 40 from 30 in 2010 for a U.K. spend of £59 million up from £56.3 in 2010.
Local Independent Films Hit Record High Market Share At U.K's 2011 Box Office
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Nosing Out 'Pitch Perfect' For No. 1; 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Saturday
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Tomorrowland’ Nosing Out ‘Pitch Perfect’ For No. 1; ‘Mad Max’ Holds Strong; ‘Ultron’ To Cross $400M – Box Office…
- ‘Jurassic World’ Tracking Like ‘Man Of Steel’ – But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer…
- Swoosie Kurtz On ‘Mike & Molly,’ Mom And Her First Tony Award Nomination
- ‘Tomorrowland’ Limited Release While ‘Poltergeist’ Grabs Strong $1.4M – Box Office Thursday
- Jennifer Connelly & Cillian Murphy Go ‘Aloft’ – Specialty Box Office Preview
- Amanda Seyfried, Thomas Sadoski Get Hot’N’Bothered In Neil LaBute’s ‘The Way We Get By’…