Success breeds success on Wall Street. That seems to explain today’s nearly 10% surge in Lionsgate shares to $10.68 in early afternoon trading — a level they haven’t hit since mid-2008. Although the overall market is virtually flat, Lionsgate passed the $10-a-share mark this morning, and that’s a threshold for many big funds to move into a stock. Shares are up more than 28% so far in 2012. Today’s movement follows a generally upbeat response to this month’s $412.5M acquisition of Summit Entertainment, and positive buzz for The Hunger Games, which opens March 23. Stifel Nicholaus analyst Benjamin Mogil cited those two factors yesterday when he upgraded Lionsgate shares to “buy” from “hold” with a new target price of $12.50. Lionsgate execs also have been beating the drum, as Vice Chairman Michael Burns did yesterday in this appearance on CNBC:
Lionsgate Shares Soaring On Market Quirk
What's Hot on Deadline
John Oliver Offers Donald Trump His Emmy Award If Candidate Will Accept Election Results On November 8
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Jack Reacher' Cuffs $31M But 'Mechanic' Puts Wrench Into China Perf; 'Girl', 'Inferno', 'Peregrine' Advance - Intl Box Office
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest Film News
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Cuffs $31M But ‘Mechanic’ Puts Wrench Into China Perf; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ Advance – Intl…
- ‘Ouija: Origin Of Evil’: The Newton Brothers Talk Their Horror Film Score
- 'Moonlight' & ‘Michael Moore In TrumpLand' Top 2016 Theater Averages – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Madea’ To Push Well Past $27M As ‘Jack Reacher’ Takes $22M to $23M; ‘Joneses’ Can’t Keep Up – Sun…
- Matthew McConaughey To Be Honored At Napa Valley Film Festival
- Dan Porter, WME’s Head Of Digital, To Exit Agency