Last Resort, the large-scale drama from The Shield creator Shawn Ryan and feature writer Karl Gajdusek, has been given a pilot order. The news comes 2 days after the the Sony TV-produced project, which already had a hefty pilot production commitment, tapped Casino Royale helmer Martin Campbell to direct the pilot. The pilot also has a line producer and a casting director already on board. Last Resort is a thriller set in the near future when the country is very fractured and revolves around the crew of a U.S. nuclear submarine who become hunted fugitives after ignoring an order to fire nuclear missiles. They escape to a NATO listening outpost where they publicly declare themselves to be the world’s smallest nuclear nation with 24 nuclear warheads. The show explores the society the fugitives create, the natives they meet and how what they’ve done affects the group and its unity. At ABC, Last Resort joins Roland Emmerich one-hour, metaphysical drama pilot set against the backdrop of the 2012 Presidential race. In addition to Last Resort, Ryan has another high-profile project in contention, a crime procedural with Criminal Minds creator Simon Mirren, which has a put pilot commitment at CBS.
It's Official: ABC Greenlights Shawn Ryan's Drama 'Last Resort' To Pilot
Trending Now on Deadline
Oscar Watch: From Aniston To Bening To Rowlands Best Actress Dark Horses Make Their Move In "Thin" Field
More From Andreeva
- 'Constantine' To Stop Production After 13 Episodes, Remains In Contention At NBC
- Katy Perry Officially Announced As Super Bowl Halftime Show Headliner – Video
- Lenora Crichlow & Spencer Grammer Join 'Mr. Robinson' On NBC
- 'Saturday Night Live' Ratings On Par In Households, Slip In Demo With Host Cameron Diaz
- SVP Alternative Among Several Eliminated Positions At CW As Part Of TW Layoffs
- Nora Arnezeder To Co-Star In 'Zoo'; Christian Campbell Joins 'True Detective'