Last Resort, the large-scale drama from The Shield creator Shawn Ryan and feature writer Karl Gajdusek, has been given a pilot order. The news comes 2 days after the the Sony TV-produced project, which already had a hefty pilot production commitment, tapped Casino Royale helmer Martin Campbell to direct the pilot. The pilot also has a line producer and a casting director already on board. Last Resort is a thriller set in the near future when the country is very fractured and revolves around the crew of a U.S. nuclear submarine who become hunted fugitives after ignoring an order to fire nuclear missiles. They escape to a NATO listening outpost where they publicly declare themselves to be the world’s smallest nuclear nation with 24 nuclear warheads. The show explores the society the fugitives create, the natives they meet and how what they’ve done affects the group and its unity. At ABC, Last Resort joins Roland Emmerich one-hour, metaphysical drama pilot set against the backdrop of the 2012 Presidential race. In addition to Last Resort, Ryan has another high-profile project in contention, a crime procedural with Criminal Minds creator Simon Mirren, which has a put pilot commitment at CBS.
It's Official: ABC Greenlights Shawn Ryan's Drama 'Last Resort' To Pilot
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- ‘Charmed’ Star Sarah Jeffery Hits Back At Reboot Critics, Touts Its “Positive Effect”
- MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace Reads Donald Trump’s Tweets — Until She Just Can’t Take It Anymore
- Deadpool’s Thank You Vs. ‘Golden Girls’ Opening Theme: Who Swore It Better?
- The Week In Deadline Videos & Podcasts: Ron Howard, Will Yun Lee & Natalie Dormer
- Hollywood Tweets On Bailed Weinstein: “We Were All Silent For So Long”
- LeBron James Tops Ratings For ESPN; Cavs Keep NBA Playoffs Dream Alive