EXCLUSIVE: While talent agencies comb Sundance to find and sign new talent, ICM has signed Adepero Oduye, who turned in one of 2011 Sundance’s breakout performance as the star of the Dee Rees-directed Pariah. The Cornell University grad is nominated for an Independent Spirit Award for Best Female Lead for her performance as Alike, a 17-year-old lesbian struggling with her identity in Brooklyn. But that accolade might pale compared to what happened last Sunday, when Meryl Streep gave Oduye a shout-out from the stage while accepting her Golden Globes Award for The Iron Lady. After auditioning for a role as an extra in the 2007 award-winning short film Pariah, Oduye was tapped by Rees to make her debut as the star of the feature, which was recently released in theaters by Focus Features. Oduye continues to be managed by Kathy Atkinson.
ICM Signs 'Pariah' Star Adepero Oduye
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'