Hulu may be small, but like a healthy kid it’s growing fast. Overall business for the online streaming service grew 60% last year over 2010, CEO Jason Kilar noted today on the Hulu blog. Revenue climbed to about $420 million. Hulu’s content offering grew roughly 40%. Hulu Plus content more than doubled last year and it has more than 1.5 million paying subscribers. That number is growing — Hulu Plus is attracting more than twice as many subscribers daily versus the same time last year. Kilar reiterated that the company expects subscription services to account for more than half of Hulu’s overall business in 2012. Hulu projected investing half a billion dollars in content for 2012. Kilar suggested that the Hulu Plus business model enables the company to compensate content owners as much as 50% more per subscriber than other online subscription services. Hulu Plus is also available on a slew of devices including iPhone, iPad, Microsoft Xbox 360, Amazon’s Kindle Fire, Barnes and Noble’s NOOK Tablet, select Android smartphones, LG, Panasonic and VIZIO TVs and Blu-ray players. The free Hulu can be viewed only via computers. Hulu is jointly owned by NBCUniversal, News Corp., The Walt Disney Co., Providence Equity Partners and members of the Hulu team.
Hulu Boasts 60% Growth, HuluPlus Soars
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
'Justice League' Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are 'Wonder' & 'Thor' Cutting Into Business?
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
Latest TV News
- ‘True Detective’: Carmen Ejogo To Star In Season 3 Of HBO Anthology Series
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger Antitrust Review Casting Pall Over Fox Talks
- Eva Longoria Teams With David Schulner & Nisha Ganatra For ‘Lucky Boy’ Immigrant Drama Series Based On Book
- Ryan Seacrest Denies Behaving “Inappropriately” To E! Stylist, Channel Investigating
- Actress Accuses ‘Girls’ EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him…
- Netflix Orders Comedy Series Starring Rev Run From Amblin TV & ABC Signature