After three seasons on HBO’s In Treatment, Gabriel Byrne is returning to UK TV to star in a four-part drama series for Channel 4. With the working title Coup, the Company Pictures/Newscope Films conspiracy thriller starts production in February and will air later this year. Byrne will play politician Tom Dawkins, a reluctant hero thrust into the spotlight following an industrial disaster that raises questions about the safety procedures of the U.S. petrochemical company involved. Dawkins risks everything by taking on the establishment in his pursuit of the truth, uncovering a web of secrets along the way. The series is based on the novel A Very British Coup by Chris Mullin and was adapted for the screen by Robert Jones. Ed Fraiman is directing with Johann Knobel (Shameless) producing. Executive producers are Jason Newmark, Fraiman, George Faber and Charles Pattinson.
Gabriel Byrne Scores A 'Coup' With Channel 4's UK Conspiracy Thriller
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
'The Interview' Release Would Have Damaged Kim Jong Un Internally, Says Rand Expert Who Saw Movie At Sony's Request
More From Tartaglione
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: 'Force Majeure', 'Ida' In; 'White God', 'Mommy' Miss Cut
- Will Sony Hack Impact UK Channel 4's North Korea Spy Thriller 'Opposite Number'?
- Q&A: Adopt Films' Tim Grady On Getting Americans To See Foreign-Lingo Movies
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 3
- 'The Interview' A No-Go Internationally As Well
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 2