EXCLUSIVE: The Surrogate has breathed some life into the so far sluggish Sundance acquisitions market. Following a heated bidding battle among multiple distributors since the film debuted midday today at the Eccles Theater, I’m told that Fox Searchlight is on the verge of closing a $6 million deal for world rights. The Ben Lewin-directed drama stars John Hawkes, Helen Hunt and William H. Macy. Hawkes stars as a 36-year-old poet and journalist with an iron lung, who decides he no longer wants to be a virgin. With the help of his therapist and the guidance of his priest, he contacts a professional sex surrogate to take him on a journey to manhood. CAA is negotiating the deal.
Fox Searchlight Closing In On $6M Deal For 'The Surrogate': Sundance
What's Hot on Deadline
'Westworld' Finale Postmortem: EP Jonathan Nolan On Season 2's Samurai World, Missing Characters & Dr. Ford's Fate
'Fantastic Beasts' Bests $600M WW; 'Moana' Mints $177M; 'Doctor Strange' Ices 'Deadpool', 'Iron Man 2' - Intl Box Office
Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls 'SNL'-Watching Prez-Elect "Terrifying Lunatic"
Latest Film News
- ‘Sing’ Review: The Tunes In This Terrific ‘Toon Will Have You Dancing In The Aisles
- Martin Scorsese’s ‘Silence’ Plots January Expansion
- ‘The Divorce Party’ Adds James DuMont; John Cassini Cast In ‘Volition’
- ‘Sing’ Director Garth Jennings On Working With “Wizards,” The Learning Curve Of His Feature…
- ‘How To Train Your Dragon 3’ Flies To 2019; Uni’s DWA To Scale ‘Everest’
- Margaret Whitton Dies: ‘Major League’ Actress & Producer-Director Was 67