EXCLUSIVE: The Surrogate has breathed some life into the so far sluggish Sundance acquisitions market. Following a heated bidding battle among multiple distributors since the film debuted midday today at the Eccles Theater, I’m told that Fox Searchlight is on the verge of closing a $6 million deal for world rights. The Ben Lewin-directed drama stars John Hawkes, Helen Hunt and William H. Macy. Hawkes stars as a 36-year-old poet and journalist with an iron lung, who decides he no longer wants to be a virgin. With the help of his therapist and the guidance of his priest, he contacts a professional sex surrogate to take him on a journey to manhood. CAA is negotiating the deal.
Fox Searchlight Closing In On $6M Deal For 'The Surrogate': Sundance
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Netflix Nabs Judd Apatow Comedy Series With 2-Season Order; Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs To Star, Legendary TV To Produce
More From Fleming Jr
- Liam Neeson Sweet On Harlan Coben's 'Tell No One'
- Ridley Scott, Giannina Facio Acquire Faith-Based 'Embraced By The Light'
- RatPac Entertainment Sets Paul Neinstein To Be COO
- Toronto: 'The Dead Lands' Acquired By Magnet In NA Rights Deal
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Katey Sagal Mothers Vinny Pazienza In Fight Pic 'Bleed For This'