EXCLUSIVE: The Surrogate has breathed some life into the so far sluggish Sundance acquisitions market. Following a heated bidding battle among multiple distributors since the film debuted midday today at the Eccles Theater, I’m told that Fox Searchlight is on the verge of closing a $6 million deal for world rights. The Ben Lewin-directed drama stars John Hawkes, Helen Hunt and William H. Macy. Hawkes stars as a 36-year-old poet and journalist with an iron lung, who decides he no longer wants to be a virgin. With the help of his therapist and the guidance of his priest, he contacts a professional sex surrogate to take him on a journey to manhood. CAA is negotiating the deal.
Fox Searchlight Closing In On $6M Deal For 'The Surrogate': Sundance
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
WGA Awards: 'Moonlight' & 'Arrival' Win Top Film Prizes; FX's 'Atlanta' & 'The Americans' Lead TV - Complete Winners List
'The Good Fight' Premiere: Showrunners On New Streaming Setup, Deleted Trump Scene, Alicia & Eli Possibly Coming Back
Latest Film News
- Google & Microsoft To Demote Piracy Sites In UK Search Results
- Kim Dotcom Loses U.S. Extradition Appeal, But Claims Victory In Copyright Ruling
- Oscars: Is ‘Moonlight’ Poised To Make History After WGA Original Screenplay Win?
- Motion Pictures Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards: ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ ‘Westworld’ Among Winners…
- Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘People V. O.J. Simpson’ Among Winners…
- WGA Members Outline Top Issues In Looming Contract Negotiations – WGA Awards