EXCLUSIVE: The Surrogate has breathed some life into the so far sluggish Sundance acquisitions market. Following a heated bidding battle among multiple distributors since the film debuted midday today at the Eccles Theater, I’m told that Fox Searchlight is on the verge of closing a $6 million deal for world rights. The Ben Lewin-directed drama stars John Hawkes, Helen Hunt and William H. Macy. Hawkes stars as a 36-year-old poet and journalist with an iron lung, who decides he no longer wants to be a virgin. With the help of his therapist and the guidance of his priest, he contacts a professional sex surrogate to take him on a journey to manhood. CAA is negotiating the deal.
Fox Searchlight Closing In On $6M Deal For 'The Surrogate': Sundance
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Gkids Reunites With Fathom Events In Five-Film Deal Starting With July 4 ‘Fireworks’ – CinemaCon
- Golden Globes: Limited Series Category, Ensemble Cast Designations Get Rules Tweaks
- Viacom’s Bob Bakish Hails Paramount Revival: “You’re Actually Seeing It Happen”
- Harrison Ford Takes First Animated Role, In Illumination's 'The Secret Life Of Pets 2'
- Fox Searchlight Promotes Execs Katie Goodson-Thomas, Taylor Friedman
- Will Forte & Claudia O’Doherty Join Cast Of Irish Comedy ‘Extra Ordinary’