Rob Marshall has been tapped to direct Into The Woods, a film adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim Broadway musical, Disney announced today. Marshall is producing with John DeLuca via their LUCAMAR Prods banner, which has has a new multi-year producing deal at the studio. James Lapine, who wrote the stage musical with Sondheim, is writing the script. Marshall directed Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides for Disney, with the film earning more than $1 billion worldwide and becoming the eighth-highest-grossing film of all time. His wheelhouse is musical features, though, having helmed the 2003 Best Picture Oscar winner Chicago and 2009’s Nine, the latter also a LUCAMAR production. Into The Woods won a slew of Tony Awards for its original 1988 run as well as a 2002 revival. It revolves around a baker and his wife who must reverse a curse on their family in order to have a child, with their journey weaved among the fairytale stories of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Rapunzel.
Disney Sets Rob Marshall To Direct Adapation Of 'Into The Woods'
What's Hot on Deadline
DGA Awards: Alejandro G. Iñárritu Wins Feature Film Award For 'The Revenant'; HBO Cleans Up With Wins For 'Game Of Thrones', 'Veep' & 'Bessie' - Full List
Paramount Lands 'Conquest'; Plan To Re-Team 'The Revenant's Leonardo DiCaprio And Scribe Mark L. Smith
'Kung Fu Panda 3' Rules Soft Super Bowl Weekend; Auds Give $11M & Thumb Down 'Caesar' - Saturday AM Update
Latest Film News
- Annie Awards: ‘Inside Out’ Takes Best Animated Feature – Complete Winners List
- Annie Awards Livestream & Winners List
- DGA Awards: Alejandro G. Iñárritu Wins Feature Film Award For ‘The Revenant’; HBO Cleans Up With Wins For ‘Game Of Thrones’…
- New ‘Gods Of Egypt’ Trailer”: Lionsgate Unleashes Super Bowl Spot A Day Early
- Deadline’s DGA Awards Live Blog
- Paramount Lands ‘Conquest’; Plan To Re-Team ‘The Revenant’s Leonardo DiCaprio And Scribe Mark…