A 23-year-old British student faces possible extradition to the United States for trial on charges of copyright infringement for hosting a website that pointed visitors to illegal download sites. Richard O’Dwyer’s website TV Shack listed links to other websites where users could access movies and TV shows but did not host any content himself. O’Dwyer, a college student, said he undertook TV Shack as a project to improve his skills and job marketability. O’Dwyer sold $230,000 worth of advertising, which he says was necessary because of the massive server fees. “When you’ve got a website with over 300,000 people a month visiting, there’s a need for infrastructure to support that.” O’Dwyer’s attorney said the young man had done nothing more than Google or Yahoo search engines. Ben Cooper, an extradition lawyer, described O’Dwyer as a “guinea pig” because no British citizen has ever been extradited to the United States for a copyright offense. Nonetheless, a London judge upheld the extradition request and sent it to Britain’s Home Secretary for a final decision. O’Dwyer plans to appeal.
Copyright Infringement: British Man Faces Extradition To U.S.
What's Hot on Deadline
Robert Redford Sanguine About Donald Trump But "Depressed" About Partisan Politics At Sundance Opening Presser
'Split' Soars After Solid $2M Start; 'xXx' Gets $1.2M & 'Founder' $105K In Previews As 'Hidden Figures' Stays Strong - Friday Update
Paramount Gets China Infusion: $1 Billion, 3-Year Slate Co-Financing Deal With Shanghai Film Group & Huahua Media
Latest Film News
- Hollywood Reacts To Donald Trump Inauguration: No Joke, Tweets Alec Baldwin, “Country Is Lost”
- ‘Split’ Soars After Solid $2M Start; ‘xXx’ Gets $1.2M & ‘Founder’ $105K In Previews As ‘Hidden Figures’ Stays Strong…
- Chris Columbus’ 1492 Facing Counter Suit In Payments Dispute With Ocean Blue – Update
- ‘The Big Sick’: Deadline’s Sundance Series Panel Livestream
- Shia LaBeouf Kicks Off 4-Year Anti-Trump Live Stream At Museum Of The Moving Image
- ‘Killing Ground’ Sundance Clip: When Campfire Horror Stories Get Real