Cinedigm Entertainment Group has picked up Like Water, a documentary about the life of Ultimate Fighting Championship star Anderson Silva, one of the best-known figures in the growing sport of mixed martial arts. Lionsgate will handle domestic ancillary distribution, and Cinedigm will release the doc theatrically in the summer. The film, directed by first-time director Pablo Croce, played this year at Tribeca. Cinedigm has been expanding into independent films for its digital exhibition business, recently signalling it is a formidable buyer of indie fare with a theatrical distribution deal with New Video announced at Sundance. The company, which also specializes in distributing alternate content in theaters, also recently announced a one-day U.S. premiere on March 1 of this year’s Slamdance opener No Room For Rockstars before making the rock ‘n’ roll doc available on iTunes and DVD. “It was clear that Cinedigm’s platform and distribution strategy was the best way to showcase [Like Water] for audiences,” said Kevin Iwashina, Managing Partner of Preferred Content, who made the deal announced today. “I am excited that there is not only a new, active buyer in the marketplace, but one that understands the changing ways in which consumers digest their content.”
Cinedigm Acquires UFC Documentary 'Like Water'
What's Hot on Deadline
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
Latest Film News
- ‘Leviathan’ & ‘McMafia’ Actor Under Fire For Anti-Russian Comments; Colleagues Respond
- Gravitas Ventures Grabs ‘Bieber Generation’ Docu; Freestyle Digital Media Acquires ‘Live Or Die In La Honda…
- The 16-Year Journey To Release For Duncan Jones And ‘Mute’ – Q&A
- ‘Goosebumps 2’: Madison Iseman, Ben O'Brien, Caleel Harris & Jeremy Ray Taylor Set As Leads
- Skydance Media Taps ‘Tangled’s Nathan Greno In Multiyear Deal, Will Direct ‘Powerless’
- Global Road Entertainment Acquires Action Thriller ‘Hotel Artemis,’ Ensemble Led By Jodie Foster