Cinedigm Entertainment Group has picked up Like Water, a documentary about the life of Ultimate Fighting Championship star Anderson Silva, one of the best-known figures in the growing sport of mixed martial arts. Lionsgate will handle domestic ancillary distribution, and Cinedigm will release the doc theatrically in the summer. The film, directed by first-time director Pablo Croce, played this year at Tribeca. Cinedigm has been expanding into independent films for its digital exhibition business, recently signalling it is a formidable buyer of indie fare with a theatrical distribution deal with New Video announced at Sundance. The company, which also specializes in distributing alternate content in theaters, also recently announced a one-day U.S. premiere on March 1 of this year’s Slamdance opener No Room For Rockstars before making the rock ‘n’ roll doc available on iTunes and DVD. “It was clear that Cinedigm’s platform and distribution strategy was the best way to showcase [Like Water] for audiences,” said Kevin Iwashina, Managing Partner of Preferred Content, who made the deal announced today. “I am excited that there is not only a new, active buyer in the marketplace, but one that understands the changing ways in which consumers digest their content.”
Cinedigm Acquires UFC Documentary 'Like Water'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Marty Sklar Dies: Longtime Imagineer, Theme Park Designer & Walt Disney’s “Right-Hand Man” Was 83
- Peter Bart: Police Sadism In ‘Detroit’ May Stir Audiences, But Will It Also Provoke Them?
- ‘LBJ’ Trailer: Woody Harrelson As 36th President In Rob Reiner’s Next Film
- Fox & 21 Laps Land John Kamps Novel ‘The Prince’s Guard’
- Pablo Schreiber Joins Dwayne Johnson In ‘Skyscraper’
- ‘Brigsby Bear’s 3311 Productions Sets Two Movies