The coveted role of Eponine in the Tom Hooper-directed film adaptation of the musical Les Miserables has gone to Samantha Barks. While she’s a newcomer to the screen, Barks starred as Eponine in the London production of Les Miserables in 2010 and reprised the role in the 25th anniversary concert held at the O2 Arena last year. In fact, the stage musical and the movie’s producer, Cameron Mackintosh, announced today from the stage that Barks had the role after she completed a Manchester performance of Oliver, playing the role of Nancy. Barks joins Russell Crowe (Javert), Hugh Jackman (Valjean), Anne Hathaway (Fantine), Eddie Redmayne (Marius), Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) and Aaron Tveit (Enjoiras) in the musical that Universal Pictures and Working Title will release December 7. William Nicholson, Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg wrote the script, and Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Debra Hayward are producing with Mackintosh. Barks is repped by UK-based United Agents and Luber Roklin.
Cameron Mackintosh Annoints Samantha Barks As Eponine In 'Les Miserables'
What's Hot on Deadline
Black Friday Explodes At The B.O.: Top 20 Pics +104% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $73M 5-Day - Friday Night Update
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: Eddie Redmayne Dines Out, Sly Stallone Trusts In Youth, And Leonardo Di Caprio Deserves The Medal Of Honor
Latest Film News
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?
- Universal Lands Hot Novel ‘The Girl Before’; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
- Lionsgate And ‘Gods Of Egypt’ Director Alex Proyas Apologize For Film’s Lack Of Diversity
- Roman Polanski Will Not Be Extradited To The U.S. From Poland
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Facebook Clip: Snoke Signals, Han Shoots First