The coveted role of Eponine in the Tom Hooper-directed film adaptation of the musical Les Miserables has gone to Samantha Barks. While she’s a newcomer to the screen, Barks starred as Eponine in the London production of Les Miserables in 2010 and reprised the role in the 25th anniversary concert held at the O2 Arena last year. In fact, the stage musical and the movie’s producer, Cameron Mackintosh, announced today from the stage that Barks had the role after she completed a Manchester performance of Oliver, playing the role of Nancy. Barks joins Russell Crowe (Javert), Hugh Jackman (Valjean), Anne Hathaway (Fantine), Eddie Redmayne (Marius), Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) and Aaron Tveit (Enjoiras) in the musical that Universal Pictures and Working Title will release December 7. William Nicholson, Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg wrote the script, and Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Debra Hayward are producing with Mackintosh. Barks is repped by UK-based United Agents and Luber Roklin.
Cameron Mackintosh Annoints Samantha Barks As Eponine In 'Les Miserables'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Los Angeles City Attorney “Will Prosecute” Harvey Weinstein If Victims Come Forward
- ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Actor Dave Bautista Joins Jaime Foxx In Animated Film ‘Groove Tails’
- Vanessa Hudgens & Annaleigh Ashford Board Jennifer Lopez-Starring Film ‘Second Act’
- ‘Gotham’s Cory Michael Smith Joins ‘First Man’s Space Crew
- Frank Grillo, Jamie Bell To Topline ‘Donnybrook’; Yolonda Ross Joins ‘Out Of Blue’
- Peter Thiel-Backed Legal Startup Offers $100,000 To Women With Weinstein Claims