The coveted role of Eponine in the Tom Hooper-directed film adaptation of the musical Les Miserables has gone to Samantha Barks. While she’s a newcomer to the screen, Barks starred as Eponine in the London production of Les Miserables in 2010 and reprised the role in the 25th anniversary concert held at the O2 Arena last year. In fact, the stage musical and the movie’s producer, Cameron Mackintosh, announced today from the stage that Barks had the role after she completed a Manchester performance of Oliver, playing the role of Nancy. Barks joins Russell Crowe (Javert), Hugh Jackman (Valjean), Anne Hathaway (Fantine), Eddie Redmayne (Marius), Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) and Aaron Tveit (Enjoiras) in the musical that Universal Pictures and Working Title will release December 7. William Nicholson, Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg wrote the script, and Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Debra Hayward are producing with Mackintosh. Barks is repped by UK-based United Agents and Luber Roklin.
Cameron Mackintosh Annoints Samantha Barks As Eponine In 'Les Miserables'
What's Hot on Deadline
NBCUni Consolidates USA & Syfy In New Network Group Led By Chris McCumber, Syfy's Dave Howe Segues To New Post, Bill McGoldrick To Head All Scripted
Natalie Portman, Nicholas Hoult & Thandie Newton Board Xavier Dolan's 'The Death And Life Of John F. Donovan' - Berlin
Latest Film News
- Oscar Bait Fassbender-Vikander Film ‘The Light Between Oceans’ Dated For Next Awards Season
- Johnny Depp To Star In ‘The Invisible Man’ At Universal
- ‘Fast 8’ Will Ride With A New Female Villain
- Natalie Portman, Nicholas Hoult & Thandie Newton Board Xavier Dolan’s ‘The Death And Life Of John F. Donovan…
- Disney Theatricals Sets Broadway Timeline For Fresh ‘Frozen’ Musical In 2018
- Paladin Nabs Dance Pic ‘High Strung’; FilmBuff Acquires Sister Dramedy ‘Jane Wants A Boyfriend’