New Line has tapped Saturday Night Live vet Beth McCarthy-Miller to helm Tammy, the comedy set up last year as a star vehicle for Melissa McCarthy. The Emmy-winning Mike & Molly and Bridesmaids star wrote the script herself to play a woman who is laid off from her fast-food job and finds her husband is cheating, and chucks her life to take a road trip of self-discovery with her foul-mouthed diabetic grandmother. It’s a hard-R effort. The comedy was set up late last year and was originally to be helmed by The Help‘s Tate Taylor, but that deal never got done. McCarthy-Miller makes her feature helming debut after directing for many years on SNL, where McCarthy recently served a most memorable hosting stint. The director’s repped by CAA.
Beth McCarthy-Miller To Direct 'Tammy' With Melissa McCarthy
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Bows Overseas With $26.7M, 'Ultron' Dominates With $45.8M, 'Mad Max' Adds $38.2M, 'Spy' Nabs $12.5M
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn't - But Who's Complaining After Cinema's World Cup?
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
Latest Film News
- First Six ‘Star Wars’ Pix To Play Shanghai International Film Fest
- Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn’t – But Who’s Complaining After Cinema’s World…
- Anne Meara Dies; Actress, Comedian Of Stiller Family Was 85
- Cannes: Audiard’s ‘Dheepan’ Wins Palme D’Or At Emotional, Musical Ceremony – Update
- Mathematician John Nash, Subject Of ‘A Beautiful Mind’, Dies In Car Crash
- Bart & Fleming: Girl Power Pics, Cate Blanchett, Melissa McCarthy, Suzanne Somers And Disney Self-Absorption