New Line has tapped Saturday Night Live vet Beth McCarthy-Miller to helm Tammy, the comedy set up last year as a star vehicle for Melissa McCarthy. The Emmy-winning Mike & Molly and Bridesmaids star wrote the script herself to play a woman who is laid off from her fast-food job and finds her husband is cheating, and chucks her life to take a road trip of self-discovery with her foul-mouthed diabetic grandmother. It’s a hard-R effort. The comedy was set up late last year and was originally to be helmed by The Help‘s Tate Taylor, but that deal never got done. McCarthy-Miller makes her feature helming debut after directing for many years on SNL, where McCarthy recently served a most memorable hosting stint. The director’s repped by CAA.
Beth McCarthy-Miller To Direct 'Tammy' With Melissa McCarthy
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- [PHOTOS] 2017 Oscar Nominees Part 2: Emma Stone, Matt Damon, Natalie Portman, Justin Timberlake & More
- 'I Am Not Your Negro' Tops $3.2M, 'Everybody Loves Somebody' Opens at $1M – Specialty Box Office
- Mark Duplass Urges Oscar Win For Barry Jenkins’ ‘Moonlight’
- Holdovers Reign Over Presidents’ Day Weekend, But Why Did The New Releases Tank?
- ‘Fifty Shades’ Dominant With $277M WW; ‘La La’ Lands $200M+ Overseas; ‘XXX’ Tops In China – International Box…
- CAS Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘Game Of Thrones’ Among Winners – Full List