EXCLUSIVE: Charlie Sheen is close to getting a therapist and an ex-wife on his new FX comedy series Anger Management. I hear that after today’s studio tests, frontrunner Selma Blair is moving to the next stage for the role of the therapist, along with Elaine Hendrix. Remaining in contention to play Charlie’s ex-wife are Becker alumna Shawnee Smith and Kate Reinders (ABC’s Work It). The quartet were among seven actresses invited to test for the parts today. The four finalists are expected to meet with FX next. On the Lionsgate TV-produced Anger Management, which has an initial 10-episode order from FX, Sheen portrays Charlie, a former baseball player with anger issues who winds up as an unconventional anger management therapist. There are three other leads on the series — all female: Charlie’s own therapist, envisioned as a love interest for him; his ex-wife; and his 13-year-old daughter. Under the model employed by Lionsgate’s Debmar-Mercury, if the 10-episode run hits a ratings target, that will trigger a 90-episode order by FX, which would be produced on an accelerated schedule over the next two years.
'Anger Management' Narrows Female Field
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'