EXCLUSIVE: Charlie Sheen is close to getting a therapist and an ex-wife on his new FX comedy series Anger Management. I hear that after today’s studio tests, frontrunner Selma Blair is moving to the next stage for the role of the therapist, along with Elaine Hendrix. Remaining in contention to play Charlie’s ex-wife are Becker alumna Shawnee Smith and Kate Reinders (ABC’s Work It). The quartet were among seven actresses invited to test for the parts today. The four finalists are expected to meet with FX next. On the Lionsgate TV-produced Anger Management, which has an initial 10-episode order from FX, Sheen portrays Charlie, a former baseball player with anger issues who winds up as an unconventional anger management therapist. There are three other leads on the series — all female: Charlie’s own therapist, envisioned as a love interest for him; his ex-wife; and his 13-year-old daughter. Under the model employed by Lionsgate’s Debmar-Mercury, if the 10-episode run hits a ratings target, that will trigger a 90-episode order by FX, which would be produced on an accelerated schedule over the next two years.
'Anger Management' Narrows Female Field
What's Hot on Deadline
Veterans 'Elementary', '2 Broke Girls', 'Criminal Minds' & 'Amazing Race' Among Series Left In Limbo After CBS Renewals
CBS Renews 5 Freshman & 11 Returning Series, Including 'MacGyver', 'Superior Donuts', 'Life In Pieces' & 'Hawaii Five-0'
Latest TV News
- Eliza Dushku Joins CBS’ ‘Bull’ As Savvy Lawyer This Season & Maybe Next
- ‘Ink Master’ Renewed For Season 10 At Spike
- ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’, ‘Genius’ & ‘Vietnam War’ Among Tribeca TV Fest Slate
- ‘The Knick’ Canceled After 2 Seasons As Cinemax Focuses On Action Dramas
- ‘Westworld’: Talulah Riley Promoted To Series Regular For Season 2 On HBO
- ‘Happy!’ Bobby Moynihan To Voice Title Character In Syfy Pilot