On the heels of ABC picking up drama pilot Gilded Lillys earlier today, the network just greenlighted a half-hour pilot, multi-camera comedy Counter Culture. Written and executive produced by writer-actress Stephnie Weir and executive produced by Claudia Lonow, Counter Culture revolves around three aging sisters running their family diner together in West Texas who find that sibling dynamics are always getting in the way of getting the job done. Weir won’t act in Counter Culture, which will be co-produced by Sony TV, where Weir has had a deal (she penned the 2010 ABC/Sony TV comedy pilot Wright Vs. Wrong starring Debra Messing), and ABC Studios. Lonow is expected to have a great pilot season. The Accidentally On Purpose creator has another comedy project at ABC through 20th TV and Imagine TV, which is very hot and already has a put pilot commitment, making a pilot order very likely. The pickup for Counter Culture extends female comedy writers’ hot streak this season.
ABC Greenlights Sisters Comedy From Stephnie Weir & Claudia Lonow
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Fall Festival Verdict: Who's In, Who's Out As The 2014 Oscar Race Gets Its First Real Shot Of Adrenaline
More From Andreeva
- Mykelti Williamson To Recur (And Sing) On ABC's 'Nashville'
- Brad Copeland To Write ABC Comedy Starring Chevy Chase & Beverly D'Angelo
- Angela Kinsey To Topline & Co-Create ABC Buddy Comedy Produced By Darlene Hunt & Will Gluck
- CBS Buys Meatball Restaurant Comedy From Bill Lawrence, Jeff Astrof & All3Media With Production Commitment
- Q&A: Laurence Fishburne On 'Black-Ish' Comedic Turn, 'Hannibal' Return & 'CSI'
- AMC To Board Channel 4 Series 'Humans' As Xbox Entertainment Studios Downsizes Slate & Mulls Possible Future