Alberto Barbera has been selected to replace Marco Mueller as director of the Venice International Film Festival. The news marks a return to the world’s oldest film festival for Barbera, who headed the Venice affair from 1998 to 2002. His contract runs four years. Barbera has been director of the National Museum of Cinema in Turin since 2004. Mueller successfully headed the festival for eight years. The 69th Venice International Film Festival will run from from August 29-September 8, 2012.
Venice Festival Names New Director
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Fox Writers Intensive Accepting Nominations
- GSN Orders 'Baggage' Spinoff; Jerry Springer To Return As Host
- Mark Feuerstein Joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'; Nick Clifford In VH1's 'Hindsight'
- Rosie's Return Snares Big Ratings For 'The View'
- NBC Finishes No. 1 In 18-49 Demo For 2013-14 Primetime Season
- RATINGS RAT RACE: Revamped 'Dancing With The Stars' Snags Smallest Crowd For Fall Debut