Alberto Barbera has been selected to replace Marco Mueller as director of the Venice International Film Festival. The news marks a return to the world’s oldest film festival for Barbera, who headed the Venice affair from 1998 to 2002. His contract runs four years. Barbera has been director of the National Museum of Cinema in Turin since 2004. Mueller successfully headed the festival for eight years. The 69th Venice International Film Festival will run from from August 29-September 8, 2012.
Venice Festival Names New Director
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' [Video]
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'
- A+E Networks Outbids Time Warner For 10% Vice Media Stake