Summit Entertainment and David Linde’s Lava Bear are the top two contenders for Bitter Pill, the Scott Z. Burns script that is being shopped as Steven Soderbergh’s likely next film. I’d say Summit is the frontrunner for a script that wasn’t distributed widely. Paramount was the other initial place (producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura’s deal is there), and there are a few equity financiers mulling the project as well, but it’s within a small circle. The film is a potboiler in the Jagged Edge-Basic Instinct mold about a troubled and depressed woman who is taking serious amounts of prescription drugs to deal with the anxiety surrounding the pending release of her husband from prison. Burns wrote it several years ago and set it up at Miramax under the title The Side Effects, and he intended to direct the film. The scribe then got busy with projects from The Bourne Ultimatum to 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea: Captain Nemo, and never got around to it. He’s close with Soderbergh–they’ve done Contagion and The Informant! together and planned to do The Man From U.N.C.L.E before Warner Bros pulled the plug over budget and casting (Warner Bros was not one of the places they took Bitter Pill). Soderbergh read it and sparked to making it his next film. The deal should be done by week’s end. It’s being shopped by UTA and Anonymous Content. Stay tuned.
Summit, Lava Bear In Mix For Steven Soderbergh Film 'Bitter Pill'
What's Hot on Deadline
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Ant-Man' Scribes Andrew Barrer & Gabriel Ferrari Join 'Transformers' Writers Room: Cybertron Pic In Offing?
Latest Film News
- James Buckley Joins Lonely Island Pic ‘Conner4real'; Evan Jones Set For ‘Shot Caller’
- Michael Nyqvist Signs With ICM Partners
- Universal Hires Telemundo Film Music Exec; Starz Acquires ‘Tumbledown’ – Film Briefs
- ‘Aloha’ Review: Cameron Crowe Fights Bad Buzz, Summer Tentpoles With Hawaii-Set Romantic Comedy
- Peter Heller Novel ‘The Painter’ Lands With ‘Fighter’ Scribe Paul Tamasy, ‘Blackfish’ Helmer…
- CAA Adds Maren Olson To Film Finance & Sales Group