Sacha Baron Cohen is in talks to play bad guy Monsieur Thenardier in Les Miserables, the feature film adaptation of the musical that Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe will headline for director Tom Hooper. Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter and Eddie Redmayne also are aboard for the pic, which is set to begin next year. Matt Lucas, who is playing Thenardier in the musical’s West End production, tweeted the news of Baron Cohen joining the film, according to the British Press Association, though other reports say the Borat star is still just in negotiations for the part. Baron Cohen is plenty busy, currently appearing in Martin Scorsese’s Hugo, his The Dictator is set to bow next year, and he also has a part in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. He also already has some musical-adaptation experience, playing Pirelli in Tim Burton’s Sweeney Todd.
Sacha Baron Cohen Talks For 'Les Miserables'
What's Hot on Deadline
'American Horror Story: Cult' Unveiled As Season 7 Title Of FX Anthology Series, Premiere Date Set — Comic-Con
'Shadowhunters': Sarah Hyland Character Revealed, Alisha Wainwright Upped To Regular For Season 3 - Comic-Con
MGM Revives 'Stargate' Franchise With 'Stargate Origins' Digital Series & SVOD Platform - Watch The Teaser
Latest Film News
- Jenny Slate Dials Up 'Landline'; Music Box Calls 'The Midwife' – Specialty B.O. Preview
- Comic-Con: Noah Hawley Developing ‘Doctor Doom’ Movie For Fox
- ‘Dunkirk’ Review: Christopher Nolan Makes A Film About War That Hitchcock Would Have Loved
- ‘Death Note’ Director Adam Wingard Considers President Donald Trump A Supervillain – Comic-Con
- In The Tea Leaves Of Summer, Some (Speculative) Outlines Of A Laura Dern Presidency At The Film Academy
- Post-Cannes, Will Smith Continues To Bang Drum For Netflix As Industry Game Changer: ‘Bright’ At Comic-Con