Sacha Baron Cohen is in talks to play bad guy Monsieur Thenardier in Les Miserables, the feature film adaptation of the musical that Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe will headline for director Tom Hooper. Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter and Eddie Redmayne also are aboard for the pic, which is set to begin next year. Matt Lucas, who is playing Thenardier in the musical’s West End production, tweeted the news of Baron Cohen joining the film, according to the British Press Association, though other reports say the Borat star is still just in negotiations for the part. Baron Cohen is plenty busy, currently appearing in Martin Scorsese’s Hugo, his The Dictator is set to bow next year, and he also has a part in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. He also already has some musical-adaptation experience, playing Pirelli in Tim Burton’s Sweeney Todd.
Sacha Baron Cohen Talks For 'Les Miserables'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- How Gus Van Sant’s ‘Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far On Foot’ Evolved From Robin Williams Option…
- ‘Night Comes On’s Jordana Spiro Talks Creating “A Story With A Very Strong Female Protagonist”…
- ‘Sweet Country’ Director Warwick Thornton Reinvents Himself With Australian Western — Sundance Studio
- ‘An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn’: Watch Deadline's Sundance Series Panel Livestream
- Kailash Satyarthi On ‘Kailash’ Doc & His Global Mission To Rescue Children From Slavery…
- Nic Cage-Starring ‘Mandy’ Takes Sundance Midnighters On Acid-Fuelled Revenge Riot – Sundance Studio