Sacha Baron Cohen is in talks to play bad guy Monsieur Thenardier in Les Miserables, the feature film adaptation of the musical that Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe will headline for director Tom Hooper. Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter and Eddie Redmayne also are aboard for the pic, which is set to begin next year. Matt Lucas, who is playing Thenardier in the musical’s West End production, tweeted the news of Baron Cohen joining the film, according to the British Press Association, though other reports say the Borat star is still just in negotiations for the part. Baron Cohen is plenty busy, currently appearing in Martin Scorsese’s Hugo, his The Dictator is set to bow next year, and he also has a part in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. He also already has some musical-adaptation experience, playing Pirelli in Tim Burton’s Sweeney Todd.
Sacha Baron Cohen Talks For 'Les Miserables'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Matt Damon To Receive Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award From BAFTA LA
- SXSW Winner ‘Most Beautiful Island’ Gets Nov. Release From Orion & Samuel Goldwyn
- ‘The Meyerowitz Stories’ Trailer: “Dad, She Hears Everything You’re Saying”
- Venice Winner ‘Nico, 1988’ Acquired By Magnolia Pictures
- 20th Century Fox, UK-Based Locksmith Animation Enter Into Multi-Year Production Deal
- Hulu Acquires ‘Food Evolution,’ Acclaimed, Highly Controversial Doc