IMAX’s said today that the opening of Paramount’s Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol during the weekend set a record for a December bow in the format, seemingly a big thumbs-up for a strategy that saw the Tom Cruise-starring tentpole premiere exclusively on IMAX ahead of its wide release tomorrow (including on 112 more IMAX screens). Of course, both IMAX and M:I-4 received plenty of help from a six-minute prologue of Warner Bros’ hugely anticipated The Dark Knight Rises that played ahead of the movie on 40 of IMAX’s 300 70mm screens — we’ll find out this weekend how the latest in the Paramount spy franchise fares on its own. IMAX said it grossed about $14 million overall for M:I-4 on 389 screens worldwide, topping the previous mark set last year by Tron: Legacy, and touted a 30%-plus increase in box office from Friday to Saturday as proof that the early-release strategy is a buzz-builder. Director Brad Bird shot about 30 minutes of action footage using IMAX cameras.
'Mission: Impossible' Gives IMAX Best December Opening
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Latest Film News
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best…
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?