IMAX’s said today that the opening of Paramount’s Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol during the weekend set a record for a December bow in the format, seemingly a big thumbs-up for a strategy that saw the Tom Cruise-starring tentpole premiere exclusively on IMAX ahead of its wide release tomorrow (including on 112 more IMAX screens). Of course, both IMAX and M:I-4 received plenty of help from a six-minute prologue of Warner Bros’ hugely anticipated The Dark Knight Rises that played ahead of the movie on 40 of IMAX’s 300 70mm screens — we’ll find out this weekend how the latest in the Paramount spy franchise fares on its own. IMAX said it grossed about $14 million overall for M:I-4 on 389 screens worldwide, topping the previous mark set last year by Tron: Legacy, and touted a 30%-plus increase in box office from Friday to Saturday as proof that the early-release strategy is a buzz-builder. Director Brad Bird shot about 30 minutes of action footage using IMAX cameras.
'Mission: Impossible' Gives IMAX Best December Opening
What's Hot on Deadline
John Oliver Offers Donald Trump His Emmy Award If Candidate Will Accept Election Results On November 8
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Jack Reacher' Cuffs $31M But 'Mechanic' Puts Wrench Into China Perf; 'Girl', 'Inferno', 'Peregrine' Advance - Intl Box Office
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest Film News
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Cuffs $31M But ‘Mechanic’ Puts Wrench Into China Perf; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ Advance – Intl…
- ‘Ouija: Origin Of Evil’: The Newton Brothers Talk Their Horror Film Score
- 'Moonlight' & ‘Michael Moore In TrumpLand' Top 2016 Theater Averages – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Madea’ To Push Well Past $27M As ‘Jack Reacher’ Takes $22M to $23M; ‘Joneses’ Can’t Keep Up – Sun…
- Matthew McConaughey To Be Honored At Napa Valley Film Festival
- Dan Porter, WME’s Head Of Digital, To Exit Agency