Today we stumbled upon this Japanese-subtitled/voiceover trailer for Andrew Stanton’s John Carter. It reveals a little more of Disney’s upcoming movie based on Edgar Rice Burroughs’ series of Barsoom (Mars) stories. The first was published almost 100 years ago. Many sequels followed. To today’s readers the author’s voice may seem quaint, archaic. Cultural and stylistic shortcomings aside, Burroughs’ storytelling is surprisingly compelling. Some commenters have dismissed what they’ve seen in previous trailers as derivative or outright ripoffs of dozens of other movies. Burroughs’ writing suggests the reverse. Mars has been a problematic movie subect for Disney and others but Pixar veteran Stanton is no slouch and his name alone will lure some fans to theaters to see his labor of love for themselves. John Carter opens domestically March 9.
Japanese Trailer: Disney's 'John Carter'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘Zombie Apocalypse’ And “Paranormal Activity’ To Hit VOD 46 Days After Debuts
- Morgan Spurlock’s Warrior Poets Teams With ABG For Strategic Brand Partnership
- ‘Point Break’s China World Premiere Is First Of Its Kind – Photos
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ And ‘Spectre’ Boost Pinewood Profits
- Oscar Winner Chris Terrio Returning To CAA
- Gotham Awards Winners List – ‘Spotlight’, ‘Tangerine’, ‘Diary’ And More