Today we stumbled upon this Japanese-subtitled/voiceover trailer for Andrew Stanton’s John Carter. It reveals a little more of Disney’s upcoming movie based on Edgar Rice Burroughs’ series of Barsoom (Mars) stories. The first was published almost 100 years ago. Many sequels followed. To today’s readers the author’s voice may seem quaint, archaic. Cultural and stylistic shortcomings aside, Burroughs’ storytelling is surprisingly compelling. Some commenters have dismissed what they’ve seen in previous trailers as derivative or outright ripoffs of dozens of other movies. Burroughs’ writing suggests the reverse. Mars has been a problematic movie subect for Disney and others but Pixar veteran Stanton is no slouch and his name alone will lure some fans to theaters to see his labor of love for themselves. John Carter opens domestically March 9.
Japanese Trailer: Disney's 'John Carter'
What's Hot on Deadline
Linda Hamilton Set To Return To 'Terminator'; Reuniting With Cameron And Schwarzenegger For Planned Trilogy
Latest Film News
- If ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle’ Brings A Movie Laugh, It Won’t Be A Minute Too Soon
- Vincent D’Onofrio Sets Jake Schur In Title Role Of ‘The Kid’
- Gal Gadot In Talks To Join Bradley Cooper In MGM’s ‘Deeper’
- ‘Let There Be Light’ Gets Release Date; Kevin Sorbo’s Faith-Based Film From Exec Producer Sean Hannity
- ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle’s Matthew Vaughn On Avoiding Franchise Fatigue & His Trilogy Ambition…
- eOne Acquires Worldwide Rights For Kate Winslet Starring Biopic About WWII Photojournalist Lee Miller