Today we stumbled upon this Japanese-subtitled/voiceover trailer for Andrew Stanton’s John Carter. It reveals a little more of Disney’s upcoming movie based on Edgar Rice Burroughs’ series of Barsoom (Mars) stories. The first was published almost 100 years ago. Many sequels followed. To today’s readers the author’s voice may seem quaint, archaic. Cultural and stylistic shortcomings aside, Burroughs’ storytelling is surprisingly compelling. Some commenters have dismissed what they’ve seen in previous trailers as derivative or outright ripoffs of dozens of other movies. Burroughs’ writing suggests the reverse. Mars has been a problematic movie subect for Disney and others but Pixar veteran Stanton is no slouch and his name alone will lure some fans to theaters to see his labor of love for themselves. John Carter opens domestically March 9.
Japanese Trailer: Disney's 'John Carter'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Austin Film Festival Unveils First Films In Lineup; Will Premiere Season Finale Of HBO’s ‘The Deuce’
- JD Payne & Patrick McKay Bite Into Fox & 21 Laps’ ‘A People’s History Of The Vampire Uprising…
- Hamptons Film Festival: Andy Serkis’ ‘Breathe’ Among First Pics In Lineup
- Morgan Freeman To Receive SAG Lifetime Achievement Award
- ‘The Hacker Is Watching’ Gets UK-Based Writer Julian Simpson
- Lionsgate Lands ‘Big Five’ Pitch By Jason Pagan & Andrew Deutschman