IFC Films announced today that it is buying U.S. rights to Mary Harron’s sensual gothic film The Moth Diaries, which played this year at the Toronto and Venice film festivals. Harron also wrote the screenplay, which is based on Rachel Klein’s novel; the movie is from Alliance Films and Edward R. Pressman. Lily Cole, Sarah Gadon, Sarah Bolger and Scott Speedman star in the story of Rebecca (Bolger), a student at an exclusive female boarding school who is haunted by her father’s suicide and pours her heart out in a diary mostly devoted to her beloved roommate Lucy. Her sanity is tested though when Lucy abandons her for a mysterious new student, and Rebecca’s jealously and suspicions rise after she begins to believe that the new girl is dangerous, evil and a vampire. Karine Martin and David Collins produced, with Sandra Cunningham, Pressman, Mark Slone, Jean-Francois Doray, Louis-Simon Menard, Norton Herrick, Zygi Kamasa and Jon Katz executive producing.
IFC Acquires Rights To Mary Harron's 'The Moth Diaries'
What's Hot on Deadline
Video - Melissa McCarthy Spoofs Hollywood's Audience Test Screenings & Cracks Up Leslie Jones: 'Saturday Night Live'
WGA Awards: 'Spotlight' & 'The Big Short' Take Marquee Film Honors; 'Mad Men', 'Veep' & 'Mr. Robot' Top TV - Full List
Latest Film News
- ‘The Big Short’ “Go Big” TV Spot: Oscar Campaign Ad Focuses On Film’s Political Mission
- BAFTA Awards: ‘The Revenant’ Tops Night With Best Film Win; Much Love For ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’
- First Oscars Handed Out As Academy Presents Sci-Tech Awards In Lively Ceremony
- Michael Moore’s ‘Where To Invade Next’ Tops Slow Weekend – Specialty B.O.
- BAFTA Awards Live Blog
- ‘Deadpool’ Rises To $125M+, ‘Zoolander 2,’ ‘How To Be Single’ Follow – Int’l…