Here’s a test of whether any publicity is good publicity: Christian Bale was in China for the world premiere of his historical drama The Flowers Of War but found time afterward for an eight-hour drive outside Beijing in an attempt to meet with a blind Chinese dissident. Instead his group was met by some local toughs who knocked aside cameras, roughed up Bale and his entourage, and eventually chased them in an unmarked van. Oh, and it was all captured by CNN cameras (see video below). Not to impugn Bale’s sincerity. But the Zhang Yamou-directed Flowers Of War, set against the backdrop of Japan’s attack on Nanking in 1937, is China’s entry into the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar race and is the nation’s most expensive movie production of all time. So plenty is at stake for its reception in the marketplace. The incident could help the film’s visibility in the U.S., where it is in the heat of awards season and earned a foreign-language film nomination from the Golden Globes yesterday. Wrekin Hill has set a qualifying run for December 21 in New York and December 23 in Los Angeles and San Francisco, followed by a later bow nationwide.
Will Christian Bale's Drama With Chinese Thugs Help 'Flowers Of War' Win Oscar?
What's Hot on Deadline
Bill Cosby Found Guilty In Sexual Assault Retrial, Lashes Out In Court After Verdict; Defense Plans Appeal - Update
'Suits' Finale: Series Creator On Patrick J. Adams & Meghan Markle's Exits, New Twist, Season 8 & Spinoff Details
'Mission: Impossible - Fallout': Tom Cruise Jumped Out Of Plane 106 Times For Skydive Stunt - CinemaCon
Latest Awardsline News
- TV Talk Podcast: Emmy Comedy Actress Race Wide Open
- Emmy Doc Contenders: ‘Seeing Allred’ Directors See Attorney Gloria Allred As Heroic, Misunderstood
- 20th Century Fox Gets Emotional In Powerful Show As Much About Its Past As It Was About The Future – CinemaCon
- How ‘The Orville’s Production Designer Created The Two-Story Spaceship For “Aspirational” Series – Production Value…
- ‘SNL’s Colin Jost & Michael Che To Host 2018 Primetime Emmy Awards, Lorne Michaels To Executive Produce
- Tom Cruise Conquers Convention, From Paramount To Pioneer Award – CinemaCon