Bert Schneider, who produced the 1960s and 1970s counterculture hits Easy Rider and The Last Picture Show and Five Easy Pieces, died Monday at a hospital in Los Angeles. He was 78. His daughter Audrey Simon said he had been in failing health. The rebellious son of Columbia Pictures president Abraham Schneider became a key figure in the new golden age of Hollywood when younger directors broke free of studio constraints and made films that celebrated the counterculture of the times. Schneider began his showbiz career at Columbia’s TV unit Screen Gems where he and director Bob Rafelson became partners on The Monkees. The show’s financial success led to greater creative freedom and eventually the seminal film Easy Rider (1969). Schneider produced 10 other movies between 1968 and 1981 including the Oscar-winning anti-Vietnam War documentary Hearts and Minds (1974) and Terence Malick’s Days of Heaven (1978). Schneider is credited with paving the way for directors with a flair for unconventional filmmaking such as George Lucas, George Roy Hill, Paul Mazursky and Sydney Pollack.
R.I.P. Bert Schneider
What's Hot on Deadline
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Legal Guardian Backs Actress' Sexual Assault Claims, Calls Joel Kramer "Pedophile" - Update
Latest Film News
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Shocked” About Eliza Dushku’s ‘True Lies’ Allegations, Calls Her “So Courageous”…
- Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams “Reprehensible Smokescreen” – Update
- ‘The Trade’: Exclusive Look At Showtime’s Opioid Epidemic Docuseries Ahead Of Sundance Premiere
- Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
- ‘Maria’: Ben Rekhi Wraps Timely Manila Drug-War Thriller With Alessandra De Rossi