There goes the $4B break-up fee that AT&T promised to pay T-Mobile owner Deutsche Telekom if the merger went awry. Meanwhile, shares of Sprint Nextel — which risked being marginalized by the AT&T/T-Mobile combo — are up 7.9% in after-hours trading, after falling 4% during the day. AT&T’s dream deal effectively was cooked after the Justice Department and FCC said that a merger would result in less competition and higher consumer prices. Justice said it would sue to block the deal, and the FCC began a process that promised to drag things out even more. But AT&T says that its decision to scrap the plan doesn’t change the fact that wireless carriers need more spectrum. “The AT&T and T-Mobile USA combination would have offered an interim solution to this spectrum shortage,” the company said. “In the absence of such steps, customers will be harmed and needed investment will be stifled.” CEO Randall Stephenson added that his company “will continue to invest” in wireless. He urged lawmakers to approve AT&T’s bid to buy spectrum controlled by Qualcomm, and “enact legislation to meet our nation’s longer-term spectrum needs.” That’s code for: Let’s pry spectrum away from TV broadcasters.
AT&T Succumbs To The Inevitable: Drops T-Mobile Merger Plan
What's Hot on Deadline
'Uncharted' Reconfigured: 'Spider-Man Homecoming's Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake For Shawn Levy
'Criminal Minds': Kirsten Vangsness & A.J. Cook In Limbo Over Parity Push As Joe Mantegna & Matthew Gray Gubler Re-Up
Universal Brands New Monster Movies As 'Dark Universe'; Bill Condon's 'Bride Of Frankenstein' Up Next In 2019 - Video
Why 'Alien: Covenant' Lost Its Bite At The B.O. With $36.1M Opening, -34% From 'Prometheus' -- Box Office Final
Latest Film News
- Joss Whedon To Wrap Up ‘Justice League’ Movie After Snyder Family Tragedy
- Joey King, Julia Goldani-Telles & More Join ‘Slender Man’ From Director Sylvain White
- Women Lead The Charge Toward A Gender Balance Not Seen In The History Of Entertainment — Deadline Disruptors
- When The Film Academy Invites New Members, Keep An Eye On That Growing Documentary Branch
- The Orchard Lands Cannes Competition Pic ‘BPM’; Samuel Goldwyn Inhales Tribeca’s ‘Holy Air’
- ‘The Originals’ Danielle Campbell Boards 'You Can Choose Your Family'